DASABCIP v4, wonderware 9.5, controllogix and slow communications

What OS are you using?
What other applications are running on the machine?
What services are running? Any of them taking up bandwidth?

I think you will see improvements by raising the processor timeslice.

Since you are using >= Rev 16, you can raise this as much as you like (max. 90%), but check the box to let the processor use unused system timeslice for user code processing.

I actually tested this at 90% today, and saw no change in the task scan time, thus proving that unused timeslice was given back.

I will give these a shot.

We're running windows xp with SP2. The only software running on our test machine is RSLinx. RSlogix is not running on here. I've tried disabling RSLinx as well because I thought that this might be conflicting with the DAS server. No change in comms speed. I'll have to try to change the timeslice when the programmer is back tomorrow.

I would try and raise the update time to around 5 seconds and see what happens? do you really need to log the data every second?

also, how many topic names do you have setup in the ww app?

Our customers use an update interval of 3secs. I've tried 5secs yesterday with no luck. We only have 3 topics currently setup. I'd like to disable the other two topics because we are only testing P116, but we can't disable them because we have tags currently in those topics. So if you know of a quick way to disable those topics in wonderware, that would help narrow things down. I only have them disabled in DASABCIP but not in wonderware.

Weird thing is our customer has much more plc's with this same setup and they don't experience this lag like I do. But like i mentioned earlier, they have all the PLCs, but we don't. So the only way for me to be sure is to disable those topics in wonderware which I can't figure out how to do.

ScreenHunter_12 Apr. 21 15.29_Popup.jpg

any way possible to try another pc.. I've had one instance where the harddrive was failing and causing alot of errors.. just a thought

maybe even disable the logging.. see if it speeds up

I've tried running this on 2 PC's. Both display the same slow symptoms. Arrrgghhh...this is starting to get annoying.

Hello everyone,

Just letting you know that we've resolved the slow comms issue. There was a new version of DASABCIP 4.1 so I installed that right away and that fixed the problem asap. While looking at the diagnostics I noticed that 4.1 can handle alot more items in a message (125+). 4.0 looked to cap the items at 100. From what I can tell the new 4.1 cleaned up alot of problems with updating values, so I figure with about 4900 tags and 4.0 not updating values or having a tough time this could rack up alot of time. The new 4.1 is pretty damn fast now. Check out the changelog and what was fixed. My problem could've been any one of these fixed issues.

https://wdnresource.wonderware.com/...adme.html#_Resolved_Issues_4.1—ABCIP_DAServer

Anyways thanks for all your help!

had and issue when we used DASABCIP 4.0 with Version 17
We either had to upgrade to 4.1 or downgrade to V16.

worked aok after the downgrade

Did you have to upgrade anything else?

I was told by Wonderware if you upgraded from DASABCIP 4.0 to DASABCIP 4.1 the following needed to be upgraded:
-Application Server 3.0 to Wonderware Application Server 3.1 SP2
-InTouch 10.0 to InTouch 10.1 SP2
-Historian 9.0 to Historian 9.0 Patch 2 or Historian 10.0

thats why we decided to downgrade from v17 to v16

all six processors worked great after the downgrade, except we are seeing one of the processors dropping packets, It is the only compact logix all other are control logix

Hey guys,

Bumping an old thread here, but I've been having the same issue as the OP.
The driver installed in the machine is 4.0 and the firmware for the L35E's is 16.2.

Should an upgrade to DASABCIP 4.1 work without having to upgrade either the L35E's to v17 or the additional platforms mentioned by SRFAHEY?

SRFAHEY (Sorry for late replay, no email notified me about a reply to the thread): We didn't have to upgrade anything...but we were using wonderware 9.5 and are still using it now with about 30000+ tags in the system. An upgrade could be possible if you are using wonderware 10.

I've tried DASABCIP v4.0 on a few computers and Compactlogix v16 and v17 and it all had the same slow communications once you reached a certain number of tags. Once we upgraded to 4.1 all was fine. v3.5 was also very good and in my opinion is the most stable version and seemed the quickest. In the end we decided to leave it at v3.5.

Looking back at it now, we should've never used version 4.0 as this was the first new major release. Should've waited until a version 4.2 or higher when they get most of the bugs worked out...lesson learned though.

Joseraul: Try using version 3.5 first as i've seen this version used in many water plants with very little issues. If you want to try 4.1...I've had no issues with the limited use i've had with it so far. Version 4.1 requires you to install some C++ or .Net runtime files...I think it was reprogrammed using this platform.

tranh2,

Thanks for the feedback. I downloaded the 4.1 and will give it a try.

I'd love to have 3.5 as a backup, but I can't find the file. I'm going to search the Wonderware forums to see if I come up with a link.