DataLink E-net to DH+

Shoebox150

I am adding a PV Plus 1500 (2711P-T15C4A2) to an existing system and creating an Ethernet communication network. The 1st phase of the system has an SLC 5/04 and a PLC 5/15 on a DH+ network.
I purchased a DataLink GW1000-ABEIP converter to go from an Ethernet to DH+ communication.
No issues setting up the RSLinx mapping and getting online from Ethernet to upload/download and program with my laptop. Problem is with the configuration between the PV Plus on Ethernet to DH+.
This is done with FactoryTalk View and uses RSLINX Enterprise to configure the communication. When I run Design (Local), I see the DataLink converter module but I can not see the PLC(s) on the DH+ network to link back to my node tags. I get a message in the bottom left of the setup screen “Select a different path – Ethernet. DL/7000-ETH/DH+ cannot be used”.
The manual don’t discuss any PV applications but do reference this module will work with SCADA and HMI applications. I have gone back to DataLink for help but had no response as of yet.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Tony

Welcome to the Forum! Let me congratulate you on a well thought out and formed question. You would be surprised how rare that is here. I have no direct experience with the DataLink unit. However, the Comms for the PV+ can be a bit tricky to set up at times. Have you performed all the steps in this Setup Document, especially forcing the Network to DH+?

http://www.*********************/docs/DL-GW1000-ABEIPRSLINXABEthernetDH+Setup.pdf

Stu....

Edit:

For some reason the URL is being mangled by the site. Replace the Asterisks with "data link gateways dot com" all one word.

Last edited:
Hi Tony, welcome to the Forum !

I'm not sure this will work.

RSLinx Enterprise is checks carefully to determine if a target device on EtherNet/IP is actually the device it thinks it is; unless the DataLink actually emulates a 1756-ENBT identity (which would violate the ODVA standard), then RSLinx Enterprise won't be able to route through it.

Also, RSLinx Enterprise won't route through an actual 1756-ENBT to a 1756-DHRIO and onto DH+. It doesn't support DH+ at all except through the 2711P-RN6 modules and drivers.

If the DataLink gateway device can perform a "1 to 1" or "local message forwarding" emulation of a PLC-5 or SLC-5/05 in which it forwards all Ethernet requests to a specific DH+ network node, then you might be able to "fool" RSLinx Enterprise into communicating through it. We did something like that on the Forum a few weeks ago with a Digi One IAP.

Everything I've read on the DataLink website refers, however, to Remote messaging and CIP paths. Usually that's what we want, but not in this case.

Thanks for the welcome and great info Stu and Ken.

I did set the DH+ forcing and this unit will allow me to use my laptop on Ethernet to communicate with the PLC(s) on DH+ but Ken hit the nail on the head. My local AB systems supplier also pointed to the RSLinx Enterprise communication support structure.

For a few hundred dollars, I will order the 2711P-RN6 module for the DH+ nodes and I know RSLinx Pro will allow me to work with a 3rd party SCADA application thru the DataLink for the reporting and material management phase.

Cheers all