Default Gateway Help

J. Feldman

Hello there! I am extremely new to the field (about 1 month), and unfortunately (as so often happens to us Engineers!) I am picking up where the last guy left a number of projects, with minimal information.

One such project is to get a number of machines in my plant setup on a Connected Factory. The IT guy said he needs me to assign a Default Gateway to the PLCs running several of these machines/systems. For one of the larger ones, the entire controls system is spread across 3 or so control panels on different floors with various modules. I added the default gateway to the main ethernet card with the PLC, but do I need to add it to every card/piece of equipment in that system with an IP?

Sorry in advance if my questions/terminology are off. Any help people can provide would be MASSIVELY appreciated!

Any device which will be communicating outside its own network segment will generally need the default gateway set.

It's unlikely that most of the devices have any need to do so, but that will depend on your circumstances.

Thanks for the quick reply plvlce! That makes a lot of sense now that I think about it; just still a lot of uncertainty/lack of confidence since I'm so new to this world.