Developing a PLC trainer/simulation/game for 12-14 yr olds

covert91

Hi,
I'm a grad student in an Instructional Technology program in NY state. I am trying to develop a computer based in teaching tool for jr high girls (and probably boys)to run on their own home computers. I'm trying to write a clear set of directions using the TLP LogixPro Simulator. The level of complexity is very high for a young person. I am afraid this may result in frustration that would be transferred to the entire engineering field. This is the exact opposite of what I want. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to accomplish this?

1.) I think layered levels of complexity would work best.
Don't offer to many buttons right away.
2.) I want to develop instructions for an existing PLC simulator first. Preferably the LogixPro.
3.) I need help writing simple scenarios for students to make PLC program ladders.

covert91,

I think you'll be shocked at what a 13 year old can grasp. I have a 15 year daughter who's totally disintrested, and has a firm grasp on just what a relay logic diagram, and controller is and how it works. When she was 5 she stripped wires for me and sorted them by number and color, by 10 she could actually wire a small panel (a little messy but very few mistakes).

My suggestion would be to break it down into small components, or steps. Start by providing an actual small hard wired circuit. Just a button, and light and a few form C - 4 pole relays (the kind with a test button an indicator light, all in a clear plastic case. This way they can actually see how the relay acts just like a switch. After that add a simple delay on timer, then a delay off timer, then a counter, etc.. use applicable real life examples, like blinking the lights on the Xmas tree, or opening and closing the garage door.

After they understand the concept of relay logic, then move them into the simulator..Youll find that teaching the software will be more diffucult.

To illistruate a point a teacher at my kids school gathered parents and student in a class room, during a open house night. On the chalk board he wrote: 5+10=3, 10+4=2, 12+2=2, 1+4=5, and asked the parents what kind of math was this? As all the parents grappled with the question, the kids started to perk up. Everybody wrote their answer down on a sheet of paper. All the kids got it right, and only about 1/2 the parents got it right.

Dont underestimate your students when they are properly challanged.

Mike

Hey Mike, that little math quiz had me going for a minute. That's pretty neat. I'll try it out on my kids.

Btw, I agree that kids will pick up on this stuff extremely fast. My daughter was typing in little Siemens S5 programs when she was 12 years old on a test station I had. Of course, she used STL just like her dad. :)

Okay.

I am not afraid to ask. What is type of math is this? I realize it must have something to do with changing units (like 7 days +7 days=2 weeks) but it has been a long day and I am just not getting it.

lol

Bob

It's funny how we all think differently. A clock never occured to me at all, but I thought of the calendar immediately (May + 10 = March).

Clock or Calander would be both correct, (base 12). As I remember it all the kids thought of the clock. Some parents said calander, some said clock, (I said calander after much thought). Supprisingly many parents couldnt come up with any answer in the alloted time. Were talking about smart professional people with BSs MBAs or PHD's.

It's the old addage about old dogs and new tricks.

Mike

I get it now. Like I said, tyesterday was a long day for me and I was not getting anything. I hate installing new software. The damn licenses never work right in the beginning!

Even worse. The latest versions from Autodesk: Inventor 8 and MechDesktop 2004 DX. These were both network installs and if you have had any experience with FlexLM you would know what I mean. I also made the mistake of not uninstalling the original License Manager which was not playing nice with the new version. Who knew that it would install into a different directory??

After all is said and done, I am up and running and really like how much faster Inventor 8 is compared to Inventor 5.

Gotta love fresh installs....:D

Bob

P.S. Speaking of Win NT: give it up and go straight to XP. You'll how much easier it is to configure.

Let me re-phrase that "Win NT Server" (10 users). Actually all is fine now but I'll have to update to Win 2K+ (whaterver it is now), soon but that will require new hardware. I plan on hiring that update out, it's just too much for me. I guess Im getting too old for new challanges. I got pricing on the whole shabang, about $25K. I'd rather buy a new Hog..Much more fun.

Have fun!

Mike.

I understood only to the third post. Interesting the objective. However, but. ... opinion that is in the road made a mistake, It addiction with academics, educational morfologic
Education resembles create a news event, obvious.
It utilizes the resorts of its state, consultant educational, neurolinguistic and related . It exists adequate stimuli for age mentioned. Define route of goals, finally return, we (us) build an excellent result for the automation.

cnrservices said:
What do the numbers 4, 5, & 6 have in common that no other number (0, 1, 2, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... infinity) can lay claim to?

They are the only whole numbers that are both greater than 3, and less than 7?... :confused:

I know that's not the answer, but it IS true... :D

beerchug

-Eric