Display String file on PanelView 1000

Ok, changing Data Type to Character array, removes the validation errors.
I am sure I have tried this and I still got a error on the PanelView.
Ken, since you have a PLC handy can you try this out?

Your original screen had characters inside boxes, like they were fields on a form. Here's one way to do that, even with your current data format.

Make a Text object, and drag it's size down to a single character.

Make a Rectangle object, and size it to the same size as the Text Object. Mine are 10x10 pixels.

Embed a Character Array inside that Text object. Make it's length only 1.

Use the Arrange feature in PanelBuilder to center the two objects together. Select just one of them and use the Foreground/Background feature to put the Text on top and the Rectangle underneath.

Your Character Array type Tag will be addressed to, for example, N24:0.

Because N24:0 contains the value 98 (which is hex 0x0062, ASCII "<null>b"), the Character Array will stop displaying on the very first byte because it's a null byte. We change that with the SLC-500 Byte Swap instruction (SWP) applied to the elements of the N24 file we are going to display.

Here's a very simple example of that method.

OK, I see the example.
In the PLC I do a SWP, Source N24:0 lenght 8, and that will swap the low and high bits for all 8 words (n24:0 through N24:7)

Tim

Last edited:
Yes, you stated the operation of the SWP instruction correctly. It swaps the high and low bytes of several Integers. You specify the first Integer and how many subsequent ones.

It sounds like you're getting the hang of it.

I'll be offline for a while... the Fighting Irish are kicking off against Michigan in an hour and there's a stool at the pub with my name on it !

Geat.
Thanks for the help.
I will be watchinf Oklahoma some time today (Iforget when they play)
I have a RS1 interface question if you will be in later tonight.

Thanks,
Tim

Yeah, that was a rough game.
But now you can move on to other things like the RS1 interface to a 160 drive.
I am attempting to control the drive from my SLC 5/05 application.
I have a message bloc that sets the direction, start command and speed.
I (throught the use of the pb-adapter) set the drive to accept commands from a PLC.
The Drive is connected through a Net AIC card and is node 3 on the network. The Drive comm. light blinks green meaning that it is communicating to the rs232 side of the Net AIC.
My gut feel is I am not addressing the drive properly.
I tried Drive explorer and it searched node 255 (I am not sure why) and then it gives up.
I am making a new comm cable in order to try Drive Explorer again on Monday.
I could set the node address via the plc, but I would have to know the current address first, then I could change it. The drive only accepts the new node address after power is reset.
Any suggestions?

Tim

That "array size should be an even number" can be safely ignored.

Describe how you have the SLC-5/05 serial port and the 160-RS1 configured now and maybe somebody can help. I have not used the 160-RS1 serial interface, so I'd have to start with the user manual too.

Are you using the AIC+ because you will have more than one 160-RS1 ?

There is a SLC 5/05, Panelview 1000 and the RS1.
The PanelView and RS1 are networked to the SLC5/05
The SLC5/05 df1 port is connected to a NET AIC Module.
The Panelview is connected to a AIC module and the RS1 is connected to another Net AIC Module. They are all networked on DH 485.

I have a MSG Block that sets the start command, forward direction and Speed reference. I have another msg block that reads the logic status of the drive.

The RS1 Module status lights confirm that the RS1 Module is connected to the Net AIC properly.

I have set a couple of parameters on the RS1 Module to allow the module to accept commands from the netrwork and I think it is set for Node 3, but I am not sure.

There are some dip seitch settings for the RS1 module. I forget the settings.

I am not having any luck getting the drive to respond over the network.

I have tried Drive Explorer Lite to no avail. I may need a different cable for Drive Explorer so I am going to try that on Monday, which is all I have left to do.
If no luck there then I am out of ideas.

Thanks,
Tim

You have a fundamental conflict in serial protocols.

The 160-RS1 supports just two versions of DF1 protocol: Full-Duplex and Half-Duplex. The user manual refers to Half-Duplex as "Multi-Drop", which is a valid synonym, but could be confusing.

DH-485 protocol is also a "Multi-Drop" protocol, but it's different and incompatible with DF1 Half-Duplex. It's a token-passing peer-to-peer network used by SLC-500 controllers, rather than a polling-master protocol like DF1 Half-Duplex.

Although you can physically hook up a 160-RS1 to a DH-485 network consisting of an SLC-5/05 serial port and a PanelView with DH485 protocol, the 160-RS1 will not understand DH-485 protocol.

I've been thinking about ways to make this work with minimal changes to your hardware. Changing the PanelView to Ethernet is likely to be very expensive unless you get a full refund on your existing terminal.

Likewise, changing the PanelView to DF1 Full Duplex and using three 1761-NET-DNI's to multiplex the DF1 serial port is a little expensive.

The least expensive option might be to use a 1747-KE module to convert DH485 protocol to DF1 Full Duplex.

You would need both AIC+ modules to do this:

1. Connect the AIC+ modules back-to-back through the 8-pin round RS232 connectors.

2. Use 1761-CBL-AS03 or -AS09 cables to connect the DH485 trunk ports of the AIC+ modules to the PanelView and to the 1747-KE module's DH485 ports.

3. Connect the SLC-5/05 serial port to one AIC+ DB9 connector.

4. Connect the 160-RS1 serial port to the 1747-KE DB9 connector.

5. Optionally connect a PC running 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver to the last AIC+ port to go online with the PanelView and the SLC-5/05.

I haven't done this personally so I'm not 100% sure that the 160-RS1 would work connected to the DF1 port of a 1747-KE. You'll probably have to talk to A-B technical support about that.