DNP3 in ControlLogix

40mpg

Hello,

I am using a Prosoft DNP3 Ethernet Module for ControlLogix. The card sits in the chassis.

I know this is a question for Prosoft support, but I am still awaiting a reply, was wondering if anyone here used this before and can explain a high level of DNP3 for me.

As I understand it, once I configure the Prosoft module as a DNP3 server. I can use a DNP3 client, like a SCADA software (e.g Ignition) or even a custom client to pole it for data.

The data poled is separated into objects, so I can poll the I/O points on the ControlLogix directly? Watching Prosoft's instruction video, it's not clear to me if I can poll the tags inside the ControlLogix PLC?

High Levels of DNP3

Hey @40mpg, if you have a case# with ProSoft, then call 661-716-5100, and give them that case#, tell them that you'd like to speak with me, Larry Frieson, and I can walk you through whichever level of DNP3 you're comfortable with. In short, you're correct. You install the MVI56E-DNPNET in the rack, you must also install our AOI, which the video should cover. Set the IP address on the module, and you're just about set. With no real modification you should be able to access the Server portion of the module as ID# 233. Of course, you can make modifications to the Server settings, but for initial testing, this would be fine. Now, what you cannot do, is just directly access your I/O modules from the DNPNET. You're going to need to write some logic to map items from say, a 1756-IB16 module into the DNPNET's database. If you look in the controller tags under DNPNET.DATA.DNP_Inputs.Binary, you'll see an array of 100 INT values. It is important to note that each INT is 16 inputs. So, DNPNET.DATA.DNP_Inputs.Binary[0].0 is your Object 1, variation 1, data point 0. DNPNET.DATA.DNP_Inputs.Binary[1].0 is data point #17. As such, say you have a 1756-IB16 installed in slot 2. You'd setup a ladder rung to move the data from the IB16 to the DNPNET memory.
COP Local:2:I.Data DNPNET.DATA.DNP_Inputs.Binary[0] 1

Personally, I prefer to use structured text to do assignments like that, as it is much easier to read.
Code:
DNPNET.DATA.DNP_Inputs.Binary[0].0 := Local:2:I.Data.0;  // Device 1, Input 1, Engineering Speak, etc...
DNPNET.DATA.DNP_Inputs.Binary[0].1 := Local:2:I.Data.1;  // Overvoltage Alarm
DNPNET.DATA.DNP_Inputs.Binary[0].2 := BooleanTagFromCode; // a boolean that comes from other logic in the PLC.

The Analog values are very similar, but the database mapping for Object 30's can be a little tricky. It'd be best discussed in person.

We're in CA, and I'm the "Closer" of our group. I come in the latest, and therefore I'm always at work the latest! So, you can call me anytime after 9am PST, and I'll give you a good crash-course in DNP, and how it relates to the data in your Logix processor. Sound good? Sorry that you've been ignored by our Support Staff. This is not typical for my customers, but sometimes cases do get lost in the noise. Hopefully I can make this up for you, and we can get that module talking to your SCADA system in no time!