Do we still skip every second Windows?

The Win10 Version 1903 upgrade broke all my Intouch licensing. I had to go back in and re-initialize the licenses.

A local company for whom I do some occasional work lost multi-monitor support in InTouch after a Win 10 update.

Version 1703 Creators Update bricked my wife's Win 10 Home Edition computer. Had to reformat and reinstall. It booted to a black screen with a mouse cursor, and nothing else.

Last edited:
Bit Bucket,

I had that happen [black screen with mouse cursor]

For me the save was that although nothing visible was running, Teamviewer was online and I was able to login from my other PC, pull up the start menu, control panel and uninstall the update.

Bit Bucket,

I had that happen [black screen with mouse cursor]

For me the save was that although nothing visible was running, Teamviewer was online and I was able to login from my other PC, pull up the start menu, control panel and uninstall the update.

I looked up ways to recover from it, but nothing worked for me. I had backups of the data that was on it, which wasn't much to begin with, so I just wiped it and did a clean install. It was okay after that, even after it updated again.

As for data I learned a while ago to have a second hard drive and put all data on that, unless a program required its data be in User/Documents - then I keep a daily backup on the other drive.

Also, I remember in the news a beta Windows update that completely wiped all the photos, videos and documents in User/Documents and some beta testers lost hundreds of family photos and videos they, for some reason, only had on a beta testing PC.

I don't know where the horror stories about Windows 10 came about.
There have been a few mildly annoying bugs in patches, but they always seem to be fixed quickly.
Diddo, Windows 10 is fine.

Note that aside from the View HMI terminals, I do run VMWare Virtual Machines on my development machines, and ONLY install Rockwell nonsense in the VM's. I would never let Rockwell Anything infect my base development desktop, or my troubleshooting laptop or the Surface tablet.
Whaaaa I thought I was the only person in the U.S. that hates Rockwell, and it's trash software.

Most Controls "Engineers" in the U.S. are Rockwell sycophants.

Why would you be running standard release channel Windows 10 on a Panel PC / Industrial PC?

They have LTSC for a reason (Long Term Servicing Channel)

You can opt for the LTSB version to avoid feature updates for extended periods if you choose. If you don't use it for general use and only work related to automation you would be fine.

You can opt for the LTSB version to avoid feature updates for extended periods if you choose. If you don't use it for general use and only work related to automation you would be fine.

Make sure your software is approved for LTSB. I go bit big time with 4 systems ordered that way and Wonderware would not install..... "not tested" is what I was told. However they have tested/approved LTSC, which no computer mfg uses??

But its the same thing. The name was just changed a couple years ago and I can't seem to stop using the old name. LTSC is the current name so that should work fine.

But its the same thing. The name was just changed a couple years ago and I can't seem to stop using the old name. LTSC is the current name so that should work fine.

No sir...
I though so too...but Dell says no.
Dell will install LTSB but NOT LTSC. They said they had issues with LTSC "spiking" the CPU.