Does RSLinx have to be running?

MPoole

I work at a manufacturing plant that has most everything running on some sort of PLC. The controllers are linked by a "data highway" so they can be seen and programmed from a computer in an office. When the computer is shut down some of the panel views have data connection problems and the machine cant be operated until the computer is restarted and RSLinx is running again. The question I have is does that computer sitting in the office have to be running, connected to the data highway, and running RSLinx for the equipment out in the plant to operate properly? Im basically the IT department here and I was replacing the computer that does this and every time I shut the computer down or restarted it and such people went to calling for maintenance because their panel views werent working. And from an IT perspective this just seem completely counter intuitive that if anything at all happens to that computer half your plant basically shuts down. I asked the electricians and PLC programmers about this and they couldnt really give me an answer. Thanks

This is a huge guess but it's possible that the computer in the office is collecting data from (and distributing data to) the PLCs on the floor and that the displays on the floor are not interacting directly with the PLC but with the office computer for their information. The office computer is being a centralized server.

If you're using OPC to move data around, it could be that the PanelViews have set the OPC server to the computer.

If you're doing auto mapping, the Panelviews might be using the PC to get the dynamic addresses for the PLC they want data from. You'll have to figure out some way to set up a static map.

Not familiar enough with AB to really dig much deeper into it, but those two would be my guesses.

That makes sense. But is that the way its supposed to operate? Or is there a way to change it? It seems to me that working it like that is a huge risk lol. You know the cleanup guy comes in to mop and spills water on your power strip and bam...youre plant is down.

I have to assume there is a way to set up a static map/change the OPC server, but again, I'm not familiar enough with the way AB products work to show you a step by step solution :(

You guys answered my question. I was talking to the maintenance guys and I was pretty sure the way its set up now isnt the best way to do it. They wanted me to switch them over to a laptop so they could take it out into the plant and connect directly if they wanted to but the way its set up now they couldnt do that. Ill let them work out the specifics lol. Thanks guys for the quick responses.