Drawing Devices in Another Panel

Tim Ganz

On my prints if I have an input that is closed by the contacts of a relay in a different panel how should that be represented on the drawings?

I have seen people draw a box made of dshed lines around those devices and add a note of which panel they are in but is that all that needs to be done and is that the correct and best method or are there better ways?

You could draw dashed wires going to and from the relay contact switching to a solid wire after a terminal point and list the wire number and panel its located in at the terminal point on the drawing. Often two terminal points are drawn right next to each other to represent the terminal in the remote panel and then the terminal in the main panel.

if there are erminals you draw the terminals in, and on the bottom the contact as a child below ir.
there should be a reference so you can find the coil and where it is in the drawing.

I always show wiring outside my panel as dashed, and external panels with phantom lines around them. See attached. There isn't a "best" or "standard" that I know of, but this has worked for me over the decades.

I'm with Tom here, his sample shows everything you need to in one place instead of organizing it by physical location.

One group I worked with recently would have split Tom's drawing onto seven different pages. One for Man/Auto section, one for the cable, one for the LOC/REM section, another cable, valve control on the fifth page, yet another cable drawing, and finally the DI and lights on the seventh page.

Are both ways workable sure, but which would you rather use? If it is clear that those components are not in the local cabinet and tells you where to look for them, I think its better to present it together as a single function rather than separate each component on its own sheet.