drawing electrical prints

Ok... Tried Smartdraw. It didn't have Ladder diagrams or anything PLC related. Did all you users draw your own ladders and devices?

gary marano said:
Try the Constructor very easy to use and after you make your ladder diagram you turn on a switch and press buttons to see if it really works.www.cmhsoftware.com Its` cheap too.
I agree with Gary. I have used Constructor over the years and it is a very capable program. The newest versions alow you to save the ladder diagram in CAD format. The last version that I purchased was Version 4.0. I haven't used it much sense then because the current position I am in uses AutoCad.

I would highly recommend "The Constructor" as a ladder diagram drawing program.

hanziou said:
Has anyone tried Microsoft Visio?

You have to use Visio Pro to get the engineering libraries. It's not bad, but a little to general purpose for anyone who has to do lot's of schematics. It can import AutoCad drawings and export to .dxf. Can't remember if it can export to AutoCad's native format.

I only make revisions to prints and maintain a few in house prints, so it works for me. The libraries are pretty lacking in some areas like 3 phase equipment and I do end up drawing a lot of my own symbols which isn't to painful, but somewhat time consuming.

I actually wanted to get SmartDraw, but that would have come out of my manager's budget. Using Visio Pro, which is supported by our IT department came out of the IT budget. You can probably guess which route my manager chose.

I looked at SmartDraw, downloaded it (it wasn't a happy download, and have looked at it several times.

Thanks Ron for the links, too.

It seems to do nice flow charts, State Logic and Block Logic drawing, but I have yet to see the true old fashioned relay type ladder logic drawings that I am used to. I tried to draw with it, but became frustrated. Given the choice between a drawing board, AutoCAD or ACAD LT, or SmartDraw, SmartDraw would come in a distant, very distant, third.

I will try it again periodically, and maybe I will get used to it, and be able to make it work.

I have ben trying to succesfully use SteepleChase since 1999, but I KNOW that it never will work.

Same with SDRC CAD software. Anyhing that complicated is incidious. No competition for ACAD!

SDRC and Pro-E(ngineer) may be fantastic for mechanical drawing and modelling and 3-D, but they BITE big time for schematics!

Just my opinion, TAX not included. Shipping and Handling extra.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
guirolo said:
look for drawing with Orcad

If drag and drop is one of the functions, OrCad is definitly Not the choice. It's somewhat more complex to learn than AutoCad. If you are doing more like building design/management, Drawbase program is good ('cos it provides 2D and 3D imaging). But...If you are looking for a very simple program to draw quick circuits, try EasiDraw. Here is the link:
http://www.myeasidraw.com/

P.S: Great learning tool for kids as well I heard.:D

regards
Sherine T.

In my business, all my customers demand schematics in autocad format. If you can use AutoCad it will only help your career.

Some of the most powerful features of the controls design packages (ACAD Electrical, ECT, etc) is automatic cross-referencing, and automatic wire signals (when a wire goes from one page to another). Wires are alos automatically numbered.

I have maintained that if you draw schematics for a living, you are not interested in making money if you don't have a package specifically designed for controls schematics.

I use a precursor for AutoCad electrical and it has made us a ton of money.

Seems I'm too used to Autocad and Via. Smartdraw looks promising, but doesn't have what I need. If they could just Do what Via does without Autocad, it would be perfect. Guess I'll wait. I looked at Promise-E but being a Rockwell partner, it's real expensive.

Yea! looks real good. Ran some of the tutorials,and it looked even better. I'm scared though that there's no price anywhere.

Its been a couple of years now but I used that when I was in TN..still have the CD but not the license. If I remember correctly...but dont hold me to it...the price was in the $2000 US range (maybe 2500). I do know it was less than ACAD (at the time) but not positive what the price was. All it takes is a phone call and they will ship you a CD that runs for 30 days, the only limit will be printing, which it will still do but has something like "SAMPLE COPY" imprinted very large on what is printed.

olias said:
Yea! looks real good. Ran some of the tutorials,and it looked even better. I'm scared though that there's no price anywhere.

I consider that marketing ploy a major blunder- it only looks like you are hiding something and scares off potential customers. They are under the mistaken belief that they will be able to convince you to buy if you call.

I called I was NOT convinced.....The pricing is very modular....If I remember from looking at it 6 months ago or so, $2,500 barely got you started and that didn't include all of the modules. Needless to say we didn't purchase.

I use AutoCAD Electrical exclusively, and being a former Promis-E user, I'm finally satisfied with the software that ACADE is.

Greg