Dual CLX CPU in a Redundant chassis?

ckchew666

Hi,

We are working on a project which involve upgrading of the current CLX system (using 7.5MB). Due to redundant setup, thus the memory available for usage from a 7.5MB is equal to 3.75MB only (correct me if I'm wrong).

The memory utilization is very high now, furthermore we are adding many Analog points on the system, thus I just want to check with experience user here, if it's possible to run dual CLX CPU in a redundant setup? Since there is no any larger memory CPU available.

Existing system has CNET for remote IO.

Otherwise getting an entire new redundant system is the alternative, which is very costly. Besides have to do communication/messaging between the new & old system.

Thanks.

Do you intend to put two CPUs in each redundant rack? I'd be amazed if that worked.

Even if I assume that you're not running a program in the second CPU and the SRM module can resolve the rack setup, I still see a problem. I think only the Primary CPU would update its "memory slave." So, when you fail the rack over you'll lose your latest data.

Since you're using CNET, here's an option: put a second CPU in a remote rack. This WILL work, I've got the same setup right now. The problem is, the remote CPU won't be redundant. If you want to get clever you can probably fix that, too.

Out of curiousity, what kind of program are you runnning that it's gobbling up so much memory?

AK

I don't think you can put 2 processors in the same redundant rack.
The biggest one you can use today is L63 with 8K, so this will be your limit.

As reccomended by akreel I would also put only one additional processor to the remote (non-redundant) chassis and put all non-critical logic in this processor.
Or use 4 redundant racks (2 pairs)on the same ControlNet network.
You may need a separate set of CNBs just to do Produced/Consumed only between these 2 sets of racks.

Hi,

Thx for ur reply. Currently the memory utilization already abt 70%. I guess why the program takes so much memory is all depend on the programmer skill. By adding analog IO into the system I guess it'll easily takes another 10-15%.

So the customer would like to know what if second phase of upgrading is to carry out (concern on the memory)?

So the only way is to put the CPU in the remote CNET chassis (load in non critical task) and there is no redundant on the particular CPU in the remote CNET.

Contr_Conn said:
I don't think you can put 2 processors in the same redundant rack.
The biggest one you can use today is L63 with 8K, so this will be your limit.

As reccomended by akreel I would also put only one additional processor to the remote (non-redundant) chassis and put all non-critical logic in this processor.
Or use 4 redundant racks (2 pairs)on the same ControlNet network.
You may need a separate set of CNBs just to do Produced/Consumed only between these 2 sets of racks.

Hi,

4 redundant rack means 2 existing rack (redundant rack), and add in 2 new CPU in the existing remote CNET rack? So the 2 new CPU in the remote CNET will backup each other? Correct me if I'm wrong.

If not mistaken the largest CLX CPU is 8MB. But i heard that the latest version can use compact flash (16MB). Am i right?

4 redundant rack means 2 existing rack (redundant rack), and add in 2 new CPU in the existing remote CNET rack? So the 2 new CPU in the remote CNET will backup each other? Correct me if I'm wrong.
I am not sure how many racks you have how and what you will be adding.

It will be better if you put your current setup and what you planning to add.

Here is example of redudant systems

Minimal redundand system:
Node 1: Remote CNB_1,I/O only rack
Node 2: Remote CNB_2,I/O only rack
Node 3: Redundant rack A1, with CPU, SRM, CNB_3
Node 4: Redundant rack B1, with CPU, SRM, CNB_4

Option 1: Add CPU#3 to Node 1 or 2 and use it for non-critical logic.

Option 2:
Add
Node 5: Redundant rack A2, with CPU, SRM, CNB_5, CNB_9
Node 6: Redundant rack B2, with CPU, SRM, CNB_6, CNB_10
Node 3: Add CNB_7
Node 4: Add CNB_8

CNB_9...CNB_10 will be used for Produced/consumed only and can be on the separate ControlNet or on the same.

Node 3 will be redundant to 4
Node 5 will be redundant to 6

If not mistaken the largest CLX CPU is 8MB. But i heard that the latest version can use compact flash (16MB). Am i right?
Processor uses RAM only to execute program, it does not matter what CF size used, I am pretty sure you can use 64MB flash.
Max RAM size is 8MB (L63)

Last edited:
Contr_Conn said:

I am not sure how many racks you have how and what you will be adding.

It will be better if you put your current setup and what you planning to add.

Here is example of redudant systems

Minimal redundand system:
Node 1: Remote CNB_1,I/O only rack
Node 2: Remote CNB_2,I/O only rack
Node 3: Redundant rack A1, with CPU, SRM, CNB_3
Node 4: Redundant rack B1, with CPU, SRM, CNB_4

Option 1: Add CPU#3 to Node 1 or 2 and use it for non-critical logic.

Option 2:
Add
Node 5: Redundant rack A2, with CPU, SRM, CNB_5, CNB_9
Node 6: Redundant rack B2, with CPU, SRM, CNB_6, CNB_10
Node 3: Add CNB_7
Node 4: Add CNB_8

CNB_9...CNB_10 will be used for Produced/consumed only and can be on the separate ControlNet or on the same.

Node 3 will be redundant to 4
Node 5 will be redundant to 6

Processor uses RAM only to execute program, it does not matter what CF size used, I am pretty sure you can use 64MB flash.
Max RAM size is 8MB (L63)

Alright, Thanks for ur information. Will look into it.