Editing text of Rung in Studio 5000

Moosetracks

Often I type in the commands in the text bar as I find it much faster than other ways to add or modify instructions. However the text bar is always showing empty. I can click in there and hit home or end and type instructions and they are added, but the text box is always showing empty. I run studio in a VM and believe it has something to do with this. I don't know what this bar is called so I can search the knowledge base or adjust the fonts to see if that helps.

Any ideas or know what this box is called?

a.jpg

If you want to see the code for the existing instructions double-click over on the rung number. That will show you the ASCII code. When you type in your code can you see the text then?

If however, you already knew that and you still don't see the code visible then yeah it is probably a font issue. I usually check one specific setting.

In Windows 10 right-click on the desktop and select "Display settings". Then in the Scale and layout section try setting that to 100%, and apply that change. If that doesn't work, or it is already at that setting, try 125%. I set mine to 125%. Then make sure the Display resolution is on the recommended setting.

VM shouldn't matter. I don't know the official name for that toolbar but I refer to it as the ASCII editor.

OG

Is it possible the font color or the selection color has been set to white i.e. to the background color? The reason I ask is that there is a tooltip, [XIC BOOL operand], being displayed, so I think the text is there but is not visible. Try moving the cursor to the right with the right-arrow key; when it leaves the invisible [XIC ] and reaches the invisible [?], the XIC in the tooltip will change from bold to regular font, and the BOOL in the tooltip will change to bold.

Try selecting the text in the box (Control-A; drag cursor; Shift-Arrow); the text might show up when you do, or copy and paste it somewhere else, which will prove it is there.

[Update: the font size issue that @Operaghost mentions is more likely; either way, please follow-up so others can benefit in the future]

So yes you guys are both talking about the issue.
I know the text is there. I can copy and paste it into notepad and its there, but in studio its all white.

I went through all the font colors in options and I don't see any that reference the ascii text bar or that have white on white. I have not changed any fonts settings. I did a knowledge base search and that is indeed called the ASCII text editor.

I tried the scale from 150 to 100% It did not have an immediate effect, but after a reboot the text was visible. So it has something to do with that scale and layout.

Thank you guys for the tips.

Try changing the display font name. Maybe either the font specified doesn't exist in the VM or it's just not displaying properly.

Had a WonderWare HMI that an "IT Guru" replaced the computer on and all the graphics and numbers showed, but no words at all. Copied al the normal Windows fonts to the font folder and suddenly everything appeared. That one font must not have been on the new computer. BTW - "IT Guru" was his self-procaimed title and he was actually p****d I got it fixed and he couldn't.

Last edited: