Electric vehicle progress report

Back when I lived on land and had a fireplace I never found cutting, splitting and stacking wood a free lunch. Now my ex wife sure had a free lunch with the fireplace fire.
Dan, I am so lucky that my wife enjoys going into the woods with me to cut firewood. She grew up in the city and thinks an outing in the forest is a real picnic. She drives the front-end loader and I drive the dumptruck, and we get the truck as close as possible to the fallen tree. About all we cut nowadays are deadfalls and trees no good for lumber. As I cut it up, she loads and dumps into the truck. When we get it back to the shed, we crank up the tractor-mounted wood splitter and split the big sticks. We can cut our winter supply in 3 or 4 days. I will sacrifice 4 days in return for no big utility bills. As we have gotten older, we have to cut when our health permits, so we have developed a 2-year wood supply that we rotate every year.

I would hate to feed a fireplace. A stove is so much more efficient, although not as romantic.

Lancie1 said:
Dan, I am so lucky that my wife enjoys going into the woods with me to cut firewood. She grew up in the city and thinks an outing in the forest is a real picnic. She drives the front-end loader and I drive the dumptruck, and we get the truck as close as possible to the fallen tree. About all we cut nowadays are deadfalls and trees no good for lumber. As I cut it up, she loads and dumps into the truck. When we get it back to the shed, we crank up the tractor-mounted wood splitter and split the big sticks. We can cut our winter supply in 3 or 4 days. I will sacrifice 4 days in return for no big utility bills. As we have gotten older, we have to cut when our health permits, so we have developed a 2-year wood supply that we rotate every year.

I would hate to feed a fireplace. A stove is so much more efficient, although not as romantic.

Now I know what I was doing wrong. We did not have front end loader nor dump truck. Tractor mounted splitter?? well I had a
ME 1 and maul or sledge and wedge or axe.

I put a c shaped grate heat exhanger in fireplac used 95 feet of pipe. Pumped warmed water at around 180 (sometimes steam when I screwed up) to furnace. Kept whole house warm - outer walls were 18" thick basalt rock mortared in place.

Dan

Dan