Emerson/GE Rx3i - MCR Function

ZestyMozzarella

Lifetime Supporting Member
I have an MCR0 function and ENDMCR0 tab in the main block of a 90-30 program I'm upgrading to Rx3i. When I attempt to download the program, it says it's an unrecognized function. I'm going to rsearch now seeing as I'm unfamiliar with this function but thought I would reach out here for explanation as I bet someone knows about them.

I'm assuming there is a new function, coil or something that now takes the place of this purpose...opportunity for learning! I'll see what I find but appreciate any know-how from the community, thanks!

Older versions of the 90-30 had an MCR/ENDMCR pair as well as the nested MCRN/ENDMCRN pair, but I've never seen the MCRO/ENDMCRO pair. Later versions deprecated the use of MCR/ENDMCR since there's nothing in that pair that the MCRN/ENDMCRN doesn't do.

To summarize:
Initial release of the 90-30 in 1990 featured the MCR/ENDMCR.
Some time later the introduced the MCRN/ENDMCRN which allowed you to nest an MCR/ENDMCR zone within another MCR/ENDMCR zone, up to 7 (I think) zones deep.
Even later they abandoned the MCR/ENDMCR pair as superfluous.

The instruction pair defines a zone wherein all rungs are executed with any outputs turned off. That's in contrast to the JumpN/LabelN pair where the rungs are not executed and any outputs remain in the state they were in the last time the rungs were executed.

The MCR"0" was simply that the original programmer added a zero for some reason, to define the first perhaps but it's a sole MCR in the program. I did see some reading material on converting non-nested to nested but when I try to validate the program, I get the specific issue stated as:

"Instruction not supported by current CPU"

So I'm not sure if that means Rx3i no longer supports it and I need to alter the code or whether I need another CPU capable of recognizing the function. From the help file, it sounds as if Rx3i eliminated this function as the CPU support states nothing about Rx3i CPU's.

I updated the functions to those and also nested everything. Not sure if I needed to do that or if it will alter anything but I'll find out by function in testing of machinery I'm sure.

Made a backup previously just in case. Also the not supported was actually referencing the old TMR Tenths 30 function, I just had to update them and that disappeared. Thanks for the help!

Yeah, when converting a 90-30 to Rx3i, the timers don't always translate well. Another thing to watch out for is comparison instructions. In the 90-30 the output of a comparison is on the middle node on the right side of the instruction block. In the translated version the output will be placed at the upper node on the right side of the instruction block, but without a vertical wire to connect to the middle node. I'm pretty sure the rung will be flagged when you perform a validation of the program.