Eplan vrs AutoCad Electrical

I could really use either one. But since I work for myself, I can't justify the costs. Also I can't spend the time to become proficient in either of them. I use DraftSight which is OK and free. I a perfect world, these programs would be a lot more affordable. I got a demo of EPlan and it looks like it would be great to have. Oh, well.

It depends on the typical type of system that you work on. If you are normally dealing with only 1-3 cabinets and limited interfaces to other systems that ACADE is probably for you. If you are dealing with larger systems with multiple panels and interfaces that EPLAN is better.

ACADE is a simpler system, so you should use it as such. If your work requires a more complex system than EPLAN is the way to go.

AutoCAD Electrical is a miserable excuse for a schematic program. We are a System Integrator and this program has been torturing us for some time.

Like some mentioned, you will burn more time setting up this program then it would take to hand draw a set of prints.

Nothing seems to be fluid, intuitive, or efficient in this program.
We have version 2013 and it crashes, literally, every 10-15 minutes on more then one persons work station.

I hate it with a passion.

We went with this because of the cost of EPlan but I know we made a mistake.

AutoCAD is a dinosaur of a program that was patched and cobbled together over the years to do what was required of the old system is based on.

I plan on getting a free Educational copy of Eplan, learning how to use it in my spare time, and then convince the owners to buy copies of this proper software.

Last edited:
I use both packages but Eplan trumps AutoCad Electrical on every notion.

It's like a station wagon and a Ferrari. They will both get you where you need to go but the Ferrari (Eplan)is going to do it much easier and much faster with a lot more style.

Caddy See Electrical not bad too.
But as you look at the sites of producers of electrical equipment Eplan is most supported. I mean the databases of parts are complete for Eplan, so it saves much work of building part database on your own. And the other automated functions work brilliant.
For me Eplan is the best choice, and it saves the money you spent on it by saving lot of time.

i received for free a pcb program with a schematic program from RS.
called designspark PCB Version 5
last week i received also free designspark mechanical to make 3d drawings.
and i use elwin for electric schematics as it costs only 30 euro.
same principle as eplan.

Have you looked at Solidworks Electrical? A friend of mine teaches EPlan and he says Solidworks Electrical is better.

I'm not a fan of AutoCAD Electrical. It's a set of extensions slapped on top of vanilla AutoCAD. It can do just about everything you want, but to get it to do anything specific according to your company's standards, you have to invest a lot of time customizing it.

Eplan and Bentley Autoplant

How does EPlan with with reference files created with Bentley AutoPlant. In oil and gas majority of piping drawings are created in Bentley AutoPlant. These are then used in electrical layout drawings which usually use anywhere from 6 to 30 reference files. From my 26 years of experience 40% of the electrical package is electrical layout drawings. Most packages that I work on are anywhere from 1000 to 2000 drawings.

I have had solidworks try to work with Bentley autoplant files and it failed. The solidworks engineers could not get it to work.

The only systems that seems to work is AutoCAD vanilia but then I have an extensive library in the tool palette and it is easy to install on multiple computers.