Ethernet I/P Communication Question

Chado613

When using the ethernet IP protocol between PLCs and FT View SE, How is the communication done ? Does FT view poll the PLCs at a timed interval ? Or does it just "listen ? Or something else?

Thanks

It depends of the Data Server Application using the said EtherNet/IP networking and the Data Source CPU Type.
RSLinx Classic, RSLinx Enterprise, Third Party OPC Server?
PLC5, SLC, ML, Logix,other non-AB CPU?
Your question is too broad to be answered unless the exact topology is a known.

FT SE via RSlinx Enterprise, polls at the rate you define on each Display. It's an odd way of doing it as most poll rates on other OPC/DDE servers are defined within the server. But on FT SE, under the display settings, you set the update rate for the tags on that screen. Now, for tags not associated with a screen, like alarms, or tags within derived tags or events, I'm not really certain how often they update. Something I've never worried about as the update times have always been sufficient, but I'm curious too what sets those rates and what are the mechanics behind linx Enterprise for polling the data.