Ever silently congratulate your self?

Similar to the OP, giving operator features that they swear they do not need and then getting thanked everytime you see them.
Operators hate change and will nearly fight you every step of the way and then they have the viola moment. I always tell them we have the same goal and I'm trying to help them. Once that sinks in, they will start telling me about bottlenecks that I missed or can help with.

Helping a guy do his job and seeing their appreciation is the same feeling.

And yes OP, I still have those little celebrations and then I tell myself to get back to work. If my head fits through the door...

I got bitten by that bug early when I was a third-year electrical apprentice. I was in a large switchroom with half a dozen electricians and 4-5 engineers, trying to work out why a 3.3kV oil filled breaker had brought the fire brigade into the plant for the second time in a week.

With all of the brains trust poring over drawings and testing wiring, I all of a sudden noticed something.

"Hey...guys? This timer up here?"
"Yeah?"
"That was put in by [contractor] a few months back, right?"
"Yeah?"
"And it's job is to drop out the closing coil after 3 seconds if the breaker doesn't close, right?"
"Yes. The closing coil is temporary duty only. If it stays on for more than a few seconds it'll let all the smoke out."

(I look around at all the smoke lingering in the room)

"...I don't think it's wired right."
"No, it is, we've checked all that. And when the breaker closes, you can see the light on the timer come on very briefly - and then turn off a split second later when the limit switch confirms the breaker has closed."
"Yes, but...what control voltage are we running here?"
"48VDC"
"Yeah, see, the coil is wired to A1 and A2, and A1/A2 is labeled as 110-240VAC. There's another coil, B1/B2 labeled as 24-48V AC/DC".
"But it's working! The light comes on!"
"Give me a piece of bridge wire."

I bridge 48VDC to A1, and nothing. No light. We open and close the breaker and once again see that the light comes on very briefly.

"What the ****? How does it work with THAT 48VDC but not THAT 48VDC?"

We test again. Same results.

"Hang on guys. Open and close the breaker again. Let me watch very closely."

We open and close the breaker.

"Okay, I see what's going on here. The light on the timer doesn't come on when the closing coil comes on. When you press the close button, that big f*** off contactor there comes in. The one that's so old it has an open frame and an asbestos arc shield."
"Yes, that brings in the closing coil."
"Yep. And then when the limit switch says the breaker is closed, the contactor drops out and drops out the closing coil."
"Yes."
"The light on the timer doesn't come on until that contactor drops out. I think the inductive kick from magnetic field on that big f***-off contactor coil opening is causing the voltage to rise just high enough for the timer to operate on the 110-240V AC/DC setting. Just for a split second, and then it turns off. But all of this is only happening after we get confirmation that the breaker has closed, and drop out the coil."
"..."
"Disconnect the limit switch feedback, and the closing coil so we don't set fire to it again, and press the close button. I bet that timer won't come on until we drop out the closing coil manually."

Sure enough, every timer in that whole switchroom was wired wrong and never worked. They just looked like they worked because of the ancient contactor and the collapsing magnetic field.

As an apprentice, it felt pretty good to work that out in front of the whole crowd of tradespeople and engineers.

More recently, I put in a new SCADA system on a site that had never previously had SCADA. There was a moment of quiet pride when I overheard two of the site engineers/supervisors saying to each other "gee, this new SCADA makes the rest of the site look like ****, doesn't it!"

For me, the highest praise is when, after I've successfully debugged a problem, someone says, "how the he!! did you ever figure that out?"

I started in maintenance and was told to look around for anything and everything because no one else there would (1 man maintenance dep't there)

Since it is ingrained into me I still do it every machine I walk by or hear.

A few years back I was working as controls engineer at a small shop with 6 maintenance guys and every one of them walked around with blinders on - if they didn't see it they don't have to fix it.

The owner was amazed I kept finding so many things that needed fixed every day and I told him his crew should be able to do it themselves and a shop his size could get by on 2 maintenance workers that had work ethic.

I P-O'd the entire department after he called them in for that meeting, but he still kept all 6

If is much better when others recognize what you have done
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNXvZ332Wwc&t=870s
What is funny is that I have never been trained in hydraulic control or control theory.
I learned because I had too. People kept blaming the controller for all their problems instead of their bad designs so I had to learn how to tell them to do it right.
I am really more of a control theory/algorithm guy. A lot of my work is original that you won't find in text books.

What gets me excited is winning projects from big companies. The problem big companies have is that they have employees whereas I am a engineer/owner and like digging into tough problems.

Ronnie Sullivan said:
Ever silently congratulate your self?

Yep, every time I have *** with my wife.... now she just rolls her eyes and tells me better luck next time superman but at least she called me superman :rolleyes:

People kept blaming the controller for all their problems instead of their bad designs so I had to learn how to tell them to do it right.

I have had to learn so much about how machines, processes and chemicals worked because no one else could combine their knowledge. A chemical engineer knows nothing about how the machine or entire process works - just his chemical.

And, as you know, if the process isn't running right it's the PLC program causing it.

I have had to teach operators, foremen, engineers, salespeople and owners how their process actually works and what really needs to be done after I dug into it and found the root cause.

A chemical engineer knows nothing about how the machine or entire process works - just his chemical.

I could go into quite a rant here, but suffice to say that is not a chemical engineer, or for that matter any kind of engineer.

Caveat: that may be a bit harsh, as not everyone learns that lesson right away of course, but if they never learn it, well ...

...how their process actually works and what really needs to be done after I dug into it and found the root cause.

That's engineering.

_

Last edited: