Excel and RsLinx DDE topic

KA24DE

I have a spreadsheet thats populated via a DDE link which retrieves data from the PLC. This setup is working just fine but I want to add somemore functionality. Can someone explain how to check the status of the PLC Using this DDE topic. I have found some tips on it in the RSLinx help file, it shows commands such as @ProcessorName, @Mode etc... but i am not sure of the syntax. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DDE Links - Isn't that illegal unless you have a license?

If you have not heard, there are lawsuits pending due to illegal use of DDE links. I would be very careful of publicizing your use.

its illegal to get data from a PLC to an excel spreadsheet Using RSLinx single node? What were their intentions when they developed that application?

Use following syntax

=RSLINX|OPCTOPICNAME!'@Mode,L1,C1'

where OPCTOPICNAME should be repaqlced with your actual OPC Topic name. This will give processor status ( REM, PRG, RUN)

DDE

I don't know who "their intentions were", as you said but the company that originally developed DDE was not Microsoft. If you really want to know more, goto www.softwaretoolbox.com and ask them if they will allow you to use DDE with their OPC servers. They sell Kepware and other OPC servers to AB, GE, Modicon, etc. They use to have DDE Help support packaged with their OPC but now have removed it. The DDE link has to be built into the OPC, it is still there of last account but this site will not officially support this due to pending outcome of the this lawsuite. Mean time this company is looking for violators and will sue you for around half a million if caught. :)

Where did you hear about these law suits mhcga?

Have you any more info about them?

Thanks Jezz

DDE

I received an email from our legal department telling us not to use or recommend using. I don't know if I archived the email but if I can find a copy, I will attach. If you really want to know more, right now, contact www.softwaretoolbox.com and they can give you the details.

DDE - you could use VB scripts

Oh yes, you don't have to use DDE to get data into a spreadsheet. DDE is a simple tool that has legal ramifications. You can use VB scripts. It is more detailed and may be too complicated for some but for those who like VB scripts, it is much more powerful and has no legal ramifications.

It sounds to me that if used with an interface like RSlinx to capture DDE to a spreadsheet your safe ?? I don't know, who cares. If they want to prosucute let em. The tools are there and I just use em. If there where a price tag on it, I wouldn't. Its offered in RSlinx Pro and OEM as a communications link to set up clients to spread sheets. I'm in no way going back to my past clients for years of data aquisiton and tell them they can't use it any longer.

Lawyers - especially the highly litigious American lawyers - will manage to establish all humans as criminals by about 2010 at the rate they are going............

Last edited:
Read the PLC to EXCEL
BITS

'opens a COLD DDE link
RSIchan = DDEInitiate("RSLinx", "M1138")

'assign PLC bit values to VB variant varibles
varLogging = DDERequest(RSIchan, "B3/163")
varCycle = DDERequest(RSIchan, "B3/161")

'close COLD DDE link
DDETerminate (RSIchan)

'check to see if the Cycle bit went to "1" if it did, excute read data
If varCycle(1) = "1" And varLogging(1) = "1" Then

Read FROM the PLC to EXCEL
FLOAT then assign them to cells

'opens a COLD DDE link
RSIchan = DDEInitiate("RSLinx", "M1138")

'read word F8:10 and load into a VB variant variable
f810data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:10")
'read word F8:11 and load into a VB variant variable
f811data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:11")
'read word F8:12 and load into a VB variant variable
f812data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:12")
'read word F8:16 and load into a VB variant variable
f816data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:16")
'read word F8:18 and load into a VB variant variable
f818data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:18")
'read word F8:17 and load into a VB variant variable
f817data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:17")
'read word F8:20 force check #1 and load into a VB variant variable
f820data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:20")
'read word F8:21 force check #2 and load into a VB variant variable
f821data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:21")
'read word F8:22 force check #3 and load into a VB variant variable
f822data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:22")
'read word F8:23 force check #4 and load into a VB variant variable
f823data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:23")
'read word F8:24 max force and load into a VB variant variable
f824data = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:24")
'read word F8:25, get PASS or FAIL status from PLC and load into a VB variant variable
varResults = DDERequest(RSIchan, "F8:25")

'close COLD DDE link
DDETerminate (RSIchan)

'write all values to cells
Cells(lngRow, 1).Value = f810data
Cells(lngRow, 2).Value = f811data
Cells(lngRow, 3).Value = f812data
Cells(lngRow, 4).Value = f816data
Cells(lngRow, 5).Value = f818data
Cells(lngRow, 6).Value = f817data
Cells(lngRow, 7).Value = f820data
Cells(lngRow, 8).Value = f821data
Cells(lngRow, 9).Value = f822data