FactoryTalk Historian - adding tag to record

FactoryTalk Directory is the backbone of any FactoryTalk application and related services running on any given LAN; it provides connectivity and security settings for every piece of hardware and software involved within the functionality of any FactoryTalk system and user software related to said FT applications.
There can be only one FTD on one Domain/LAN topology; it needs to be installed prior to any application since it is the big-eye-in-the-sky of Rockwell's FactoryTalk systems; any settings alterations or re-installs will render the rest of the system useless; everything will need to be installed again and reconfigured.
I don't know about your approach though; there is a reason RA TechSupport costs; you want to play with the big boys and handle big data, you don't want to pay but for purchase without support and yet you don't even bother to read the available free documentation; it's all there within the tens of thousands of FactoryTalk dedicated pages; either spend the time to find the relevant information about the proper way of installing of a FTHSE system or save time by buying support; learning on the go might work with CCW or other freeware out there, however, a Historian SE is not a Micro800 system.
We are trying to help in case someone hits a snag; doing it for someone who does not bother to do any homework becomes a question of professional common sense.

Last edited:
FactoryTalk Directory is the backbone of any FactoryTalk application and related services running on any given LAN; it provides connectivity and security settings for every piece of hardware and software involved within the functionality of any FactoryTalk system and user software related to said FT applications.
There can be only one FTD on one Domain/LAN topology; it needs to be installed prior to any application since it is the big-eye-in-the-sky of Rockwell's FactoryTalk systems; any settings alterations or re-installs will render the rest of the system useless; everything will need to be installed again and reconfigured.

Fully understood. Thank you.

yet you don't even bother to read the available free documentation;

With all due respect but this is not true. If manuals provided by manufacturer's are so good and enough to engineers, there will not be
any training programs. And i'm not telling only about Rockwells.

I spend xxx hour's studying manuals and the way i connect historian server with pc noce is not clear described in manuals.
My approach is to read & test & read & test and so on.
After that, when i'm still strugle with problem, i'm looking for advice in much more experience people.

Anyway, thank you for your advices. I could not done it wtihout them.
Problem solved.

For anyone reading this and trying to find out how to pull a tag from say a CLX plc into historian, use the FactoryTalk Administration console app, use add individual point, browse the tree on the next window after selecting your FT interface and then when the tag is found, add it to the list below with the button and click OK. Then, open PI Manager and using point builder menu on the left, search for the tag you found in FTAC and there you can rename it, or add a comment, set timing, scaling, decimal places if it's a float for example, then when done, click save. Always use the Rename button to rename a tag or it will create a new tag if you type in the tag name box. Do not do that. Pressing the rename button pops up a new window where you can set the name, then click the save button at the top to accept the changes. Once that is done, the tag will be visible in FactoryTalk Vantagepoint Portal > Tools > Trend application. Look on the tree of that program for your Historian connector and open it up till you see a link called Tags...click that and they will appear below. You can turn on the filter and use the name box to filter for part of a name or part of the description, or both. Once the tag appears, drag it to a new Trend panel on the right.

Last edited:
I just noticed that when i open "FactoryTalk Diagnostics Viewer" i can see some logs...
During "adding individual historian points" i receive fault:

The passed value's type did not match the type of the attribute and type coercion failed.compdev

It's strange because i try to add int tag, which change from 0 to 60.

Check what the actual value in the PLC is. if its negative it won't accept it on a Int16. If your force it positive temporarily it'll take it, after that it won't care if it goes negative. really frustrating. Also you have to match the PLC value type. Int16, Int32, Float, etc.

You also can't target a binary bit with it, have to take the whole word, then if your using a Factorytalk app to extract data you can go to the bit level.

cannot find the reference menu item...

For anyone reading this and trying to find out how to pull a tag from say a CLX plc into historian, use the FactoryTalk Administration console app, use add individual point, browse the tree on the next window after selecting your FT interface and then when the tag is found, add it to the list below with the button and click OK. Then, open PI Manager and using point builder menu on the left, search for the tag you found in FTAC and there you can rename it, or add a comment, set timing, scaling, decimal places if it's a float for example, then when done, click save. Always use the Rename button to rename a tag or it will create a new tag if you type in the tag name box. Do not do that. Pressing the rename button pops up a new window where you can set the name, then click the save button at the top to accept the changes. Once that is done, the tag will be visible in FactoryTalk Vantagepoint Portal > Tools > Trend application. Look on the tree of that program for your Historian connector and open it up till you see a link called Tags...click that and they will appear below. You can turn on the filter and use the name box to filter for part of a name or part of the description, or both. Once the tag appears, drag it to a new Trend panel on the right.

Reading the post above, this is exactly what I want to do, add a tag from my CLX.

I am attached to a customers FTView 10 system and I cannot get this menu option to add individual point. I am on the Historian server..in FTAC. I have a FTLD and a historian server. I can search for tags and see the ones already added...I am totally missing the "add individual point"...

Any help on this one?

Thanks,

Solved

Reading the post above, this is exactly what I want to do, add a tag from my CLX.

I am attached to a customers FTView 10 system and I cannot get this menu option to add individual point. I am on the Historian server..in FTAC. I have a FTLD and a historian server. I can search for tags and see the ones already added...I am totally missing the "add individual point"...

Any help on this one?

Thanks,

Okay, what I was missing was that at the Top of the FTAC tree, right below the Server Name is the APP Name. Expand that. Right Click on the APP Name or the Data branch and that will give you the "add a historical point" menu item.

Yes, as I said "browse the tree on the next window after selecting your FT interface and then when the tag is found, add it to the list below with the button and click OK. "

Glad you found it. And it's "add Individual historian point" not "add historical point"