FactoryTalk ME LogIn Button

40mpg

Hello all,

I see this behavior in an old HMI app and I am trying to replicate it in a newer version of FactoryTalk ME

1. There is a Log In button
2. User press the Log In button and the log in prompt pops up
3. User enters username and password and prompted and press enters
4. The system takes the user to a display, lets call this display" Config"

How do I implement step number 4, basically without having to use a "Go To" button

While this is something you can do easily in View SE, View ME makes this a lot harder. It would require some work in the PV and some work in the PLC. We will have the PV send a unique number to the PLC for each user. Then we will have the logic in the PLC look at that user and force a specific display to open.

• Create a tag in the PLC that we can use to store a unique number for each ME user. A DINT tag would be fine. I'll call mine PV_USER. The PanelView will write to this tag.
  • Create a macro in FT View that writes the unique number to that tag. You would need to do this for each user. If you've got 5 users, you'll need 5 macros. 30 users, 30 macros.
  • In FT View under Runtime Security assign those macros as the Login Macro for each user

So now, your PLC will know who is logged in by looking at the value in that tag. If you have categories of users, you can identify them by category instead. Perhaps I have 30 users, but they fall into three categories. Maybe a several maintenance users, several operators, and maybe a couple engineering users. Operators, I assign a 1, Maintenance, I assign a 2, and Engineers, I assign a 3. So I end up with just three unique numbers instead of 30. But you still need to create a macro for each identified user.

• Identify which displays you would want to appear for each user.
  • In FT View open each display and access the Display Settings. Assign a unique Display number to each display. Do not duplicate the numbers. Use any number from 1 to 65536. They can be used in any order, but I generally start with 1 and work my way from there.

Now we have given each display a way to be uniquely identified.

• In your PLC, create a DINT tag that we will use to control which display appears on the PV. Maybe a DINT that we call SET_PV_SCREEN
  • Write logic to look at the PV_USER tag and MOV the correct display number to SET_PV_SCREEN

If your logic puts a 5 in that tag it will force the PV to go to that specific display. For example, If PV_User = 1 Then MOV 5 to SET_PV_SCREEN.

Now, if you leave that number in there, they can never leave that display. So you will probably want to include logic that resets the SET_PV_SCREEN back to zero after a moment. A zero in the tag allows the user at the PV to control which screen they want to view.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a much easier method. But I think this is the way you would have to go. Or, include a Goto button :)

OG

We are doing it by placing Login button on "Configuration" screen. All other controls on this screen having animation Visibility enabled. They become visible if current user has proper code.

PaulB

I think you may be best served by making use of the security codes and the visibility as mentioned.

typically. I'll make a user for people who need it, one for maintenance, one for engineering etc. then use the letter codes in the 'Runtime Security' area to dictate who gets access to what.

Just Assign anything that Maintenance can access a letter ' M ' Code. and make the visibility match.

When user Maintenance logs in. they can access to All codes except ' E ' for engineering. and likewise for operators. Operators get access to all screens except screens with codes ' E ' and ' M '. and default can only view screens not accessible by E, M and O (operator).

Just use the visibility to hide the button from use unless logged in.....

This worked on older panelviews too. you 'HAD' to have a configure button, so I've seen them locked away behind screens that can't be accessed, and hidden in plain view in a corner where nothing resided (or behind a graphic).

Edit: Sorry I think I misunderstood a little of the questions. but if you want someone to get transported to another screen simply by making a bit of logic true, like logging on. then use the ' Global connections' under system folder. and under Display tab. there you can force windows to open, or close, or almost anything you want based on a tag value and not a panelview input like a goto button. I think opera would have had the best idea of using a macro for each user to set a tag value. then using that specific tag value to tie to a global connection which would send them to whatever screen you wanted.

Last edited: