FactoryTalk View Custom Login Solution

bfearnow

Hey all,

This is my first post so I thought I would share a solution to a request I've seen a few times on this forum while trying to figure it out myself before making an account. (n)

I handled all of the security myself in the PLC, creating strings for usernames and passwords and comparing them to an input username/password from a PanelView. Each username/password combination has its own "permission level" which allows access to certain parameters (like saving to a protected number of recipes which we found useful when operators "accidentally" overwrite working recipes).

The biggest problem for people that I saw was not being able to track when the screen was "idle" in FactoryTalk View. To do this, I still use the auto logout feature in the Project Settings which has no effect on the Username/Password status, but when the autologout happens you can have it move to a screen number. When I am on this screen number for a predetermined amount of time I auto logout of the PLC username/password/permissions. I know its not much for my first contribution to the forum, but I've only had about a year of PLC experience.

If you have any better suggestions let me know!