FactoryTalk View SE 0.5s tag logging

AlexGomes

Hi All,
I'm trying to look into if it's possible to get FactoryTalk SE to build a process log report, recording various tag values at a poll rate of down to 500ms. I'm trying to get this working within FactoryTalk at the moment, rather than use an external reporting application.

I'm currently using a numeric field input to change on an always on display to drive some VBA code to write tag values to a new line of a csv file every call. I have all of this working fine. However I can't seem to get it to poll faster than 1 second. It looks like I'm running into some sort of execution time limitation. I started down this VBA path because it seemed to be the only way to get a csv file out.

Is there anyway to have SE log PLC tag data to a csv or excel file at a poll rate faster than 1 second?

No idea about FTV but years ago I did an RSV32 project & VBA is slow, I logged data to an ODBC DB, not sure how fast you could log data but there are options i.e. on demand, time or state change, you can also select when new files are created & if older files are deleted i.e. if older than 12 months etc.
One thing to remember that if the log trigger is faster than the coms driver then you will be logging the same data many times.
It is easy to use excel to extract data from a ODBC DB I created a macro in VBA where the user could enter a date & extract the data and format it into a spreadsheet, this was distributed to the users who needed it to produce reports.
From my limited experience of FTV it does appear RW have just cobbled together the existing RSV32 & modified it but charge megabucks for it.
As I said, no idea how fast you can log data using this mode but I guess it is faster than using VBA.