FactoryTalk View SE communication with Micrologix/RSlogix 500 program

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm brand new to HMI in general and FactoryTalk View SE. I've got my test box out with the Micrologix 1500 in it. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate a View SE client into my test program. I've figured out how to import the addresses to the View Studio application, and assign them to "buttons" in the display, but how do I tell RSLogix 500 to look for inputs from the momentary buttons I've created?

Thanks again ya'll!

I dunno about this scenario...FTVSE is using RSLinx Enterprise for Data Server services...MicroLogix CPU family does not "talk" Linx Enterprise....
MicroLogix again...Rockwell must have made a fortune with misguided customers...
MicroLogix processors are a far cry from Logix class CPUs(ControlLogix, CompactLogix, FlexLogix) even if their names' suffixes are identical...:sick:
You will need a bottom feeder CompactLogix CPU in your test box for FTVSE or if the MicroLogix is locked-in you will nee a PanelView Component HMI terminal or the RSView 32 software application if you want a distributed, client based application.

RSLinx Classic works fine with the MicroLogix and FTView SE.
Just set up an RLinx Classic data server.
Done.

Yes, if there is an available RSLinx Classic(OEM activation- on the same machine as the FTVSE Server or Gateway activation on the FTVSE LAN) you could create a Topic pointing to the ML controller and add the Linx OPC Server to the FTVSE project tree(if not there already).
RSLinx Classic licenses cost significantly more than a test CompactLogix CPU; if you decide to purchase/install a Linx OPC Server within a FTVSE system be careful when editing the SE project- you could shut the entire system down in no time.

I'm running all this from my laptop which has Linx classic, RS500, RS5000, FTalkViewStudio Enterprise, FTalkView SE Client, and a bunch of other stuff.

Everything is being run through a test box so I don't have to worry about hurting anything.

Ok, I'll look into setting up an RSLinx Classic Data server and get back to you Monday with the results. Thank you.

Some of the advice above is incorrect or incomplete.

FactoryTalk View SE absolutely can communicate with PLC-5, SLC-500, and MicroLogix family controllers (including the MicroLogix 1500) as well as with ControlLogix and CompactLogix family controllers.

It can use either RSLinx Enterprise or RSLinx Classic.

In most cases, RSLinx Enterprise is installed along with FactoryTalk View SE. It's not mandatory, and it's not always included in the licensing bundle. Check your installation to figure out exactly what's installed and activated.

Both RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic need to be activated before they can serve data to FactoryTalk View SE.

RSLinx Classic does it over good old OPC DA 2.05 connections, and RSLinx Enterprise uses the native FactoryTalk LiveData services (which are almost transparent to the user), but both of them definitely work with the MicroLogix 1500.

One thing that's notable from your list of software is that you say you have the FactoryTalk View SE Client and Studio, but you didn't mention a FactoryTalk View SE Server, or the "Station" or "Standalone" version of FactoryTalk View that runs the server and client on the same PC.

Just having a FactoryTalk View SE Client gets you nowhere; there has to be a Server involved. The server holds the screens and datalogs and databases and everything else, not just the communications data server.

In general the Server software is installed when the Studio software is installed, but you definitely need to take one or two steps back to determine if you're working on a distributed system or a standalone system.

Ken, I'm working over DF1, and just trying to get my feet wet with FactoryTalk View in general. I'm guessing that would be considered standalone, so I'm using ViewStudio Site Edition, (Local Station). I'm trying just to create a basic test program for starting and stopping a motor, and using a momentary start and stop button on View SE. I've had a hard time finding any kind of resource for learning to work with RSlogix500/View SE together.

Anyways, a few things I noticed.

1. RSLinx Enterprise seems to be working fine in View SE and finds the Micrologix.

2. The HMI server is automatically created when I create a new project in View Studio, right?

3. This is a basic HMI question, but I have to use indirect addressing when I write my program in RSLogix 500, right? Start and Stop buttons should be B3:1/* and those will be the tags I assign in View Studio I think. Last week I was trying to assign I1 and O0 tags in View Studio and I thing that was part of my issue.

Thanks for all the help everyone. I know this is super basic stuff, but I'm not really finding the learning resources I was able to find for RSLogix, and the Allen Bradley manuals are taking me a while to get through and really understand.

I figured out the step I was missing. I've got a test program working now and I've got enough of the basics to start adding to the project now. Thanks everyone.

p.s. - the step I was missing was right clicking the root folder in View SE and clicking "add new server". Once I did that I was able to properly set up communication to the micrologix and get everything talking.

Regarding item 3: Indirect addressing is something different; it involves using an index number to dynamically change the data address that is used as an argument by an instruction.

In general, I use internal PLC data tables that are dedicated to HMI functions. For example, I'll choose N11:xx for inputs and N10:xx for outputs, and only use those data tables for interchanging data with the HMI.

This has two main benefits.

It allows me to easily know that my HMI is reading and writing specific data tables in my program. There's no concern that I might forget that a particular data element is written to by the HMI instead of my logic.

And it is most efficient for the HMI to read and write blocks of data from a single data table. This is important when you are using a low-throughput communication method like serial DF1.

It is (almost) never good practice to directly read and write to Input and Output data tables with your HMI. The risks of conflicting between PLC logic and HMI logic are very high, and the risk of leaving an output in an uncontrolled state if the HMI is disconnected or communication is interrupted is usually unacceptable.

Thanks Ken, and anyone else reading this. FactoryTalk View SE will most definitely communicate and function with a Micrologix over DF1.

FTView SE with ML1500 over NET ENI

Hi,
I have worked with FTView SE a lot but mostly with direct ethernet devices.
Now I have many nos. of ML1200 and ML1500.

ML1200 is directly visible through NET ENI in RSLinx enterprise.
But where ML1500 is attached to NET ENI on serial port, RSLinx enterprise does not display ML1500 like with ML1200 and it does not allow to create any topic.

Have you tried with ML1500 with FTView SE on Net ENI.
Please guide me where I am doing wrong.

Some of the advice above is incorrect or incomplete.

FactoryTalk View SE absolutely can communicate with PLC-5, SLC-500, and MicroLogix family controllers (including the MicroLogix 1500) as well as with ControlLogix and CompactLogix family controllers.

It can use either RSLinx Enterprise or RSLinx Classic.

In most cases, RSLinx Enterprise is installed along with FactoryTalk View SE. It's not mandatory, and it's not always included in the licensing bundle. Check your installation to figure out exactly what's installed and activated.

Both RSLinx Enterprise and RSLinx Classic need to be activated before they can serve data to FactoryTalk View SE.

RSLinx Classic does it over good old OPC DA 2.05 connections, and RSLinx Enterprise uses the native FactoryTalk LiveData services (which are almost transparent to the user), but both of them definitely work with the MicroLogix 1500.

One thing that's notable from your list of software is that you say you have the FactoryTalk View SE Client and Studio, but you didn't mention a FactoryTalk View SE Server, or the "Station" or "Standalone" version of FactoryTalk View that runs the server and client on the same PC.

Just having a FactoryTalk View SE Client gets you nowhere; there has to be a Server involved. The server holds the screens and datalogs and databases and everything else, not just the communications data server.

In general the Server software is installed when the Studio software is installed, but you definitely need to take one or two steps back to determine if you're working on a distributed system or a standalone system.