FactoryTalk View SE Studio 6.0 & Client on a Window 7 Pro 64 bit machine

I believe I had it set to assign an ip address automatically, but if I understand your previous post properly, shouldn't it have piggy-backed on the host address?

I'm really not sure where it obtained the address.

The VM needs to be setup as "DHCP" for NAT to work, vmware will then internally link your static host IP address to the DHCP vm address. Make sure you are using the right network between host and vm, you may have your local connection and wireless connections crossed.

For example, my host Windows 7 machine has a "static" IP address of 192.168.1.225 (I have a PLC with an IP address of 192.168.1.10)

On my XP virtual, when I do an "ipconfig" it returns "192.168.27.137" (the internally assigned NAT network from VMware)

From my host I can ping "192.168.27.137" (virtual)
From my virtual I can ping "192.168.1.225" (host), and "192.168.1.10" (plc)

I'm using the VM included with Windows 7. I never did get it to work properly with NAT. (Probably something I'm doing wrong)

I finally got it to work by selecting what appeared to be my network card name instead of NAT. I assigned my host to a static 192.168.85.131 and the VM to a static 192.168.85.130 and everything works and pings properly.

For all the money you have to pay for AB products, you would have thought they had gotten around to making FTView work in a 64 bit operating system by now. I think this is totally unacceptable and just another reason I avoid Panelviews at all cost, yet still get stuck with them thanks to well meaning but unsuspecting customers. Running these virtual machines/modes is a ridiculous bandaid and huge timesink. Maybe AB will reimburse us for our lost time?

For all the money you have to pay for AB products, you would have thought they had gotten around to making FTView work in a 64 bit operating system by now. I think this is totally unacceptable and just another reason I avoid Panelviews at all cost, yet still get stuck with them thanks to well meaning but unsuspecting customers. Running these virtual machines/modes is a ridiculous bandaid and huge timesink. Maybe AB will reimburse us for our lost time?

Blah blah blah blah *yawn* blah blah blah....take your ball and go home if you don't want to play.

It is my understanding (through conversations with RA distributors and RA reps) that there is major code restructuring required to make the FTView platform compliant with 64 bit systems. So, I wouldn't hold your breath. I bet there are still computer hardware devices (printers, sound cards, usb devices...) that still don't have full 64 bit support.
Virtualization is an actual SOLUTION for software products that require legacy software. Virtual Machines have tremendous advantages to both the developer and end user that go well beyond "software compatibility".

Last edited: