FactoryTalk View Studio Button text

Tomo453

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,
I ran into an issue while editing a FactoryTalk View ME application. I have added two buttons to one of the displays and have used the captions "LIFTERS UP" and "LIFTERS DOWN". I have the buttons change color depending on the state such that the operator can see that the button is engaged. My issue is that for the "LIFTERS DOWN" button the caption gets changed to "LIFTERS DOW*" when I apply the property. I first thought that the button may not be large enough but after resizing, same results. If I change the text to something longer the last letter is always changed to an asterisk. I do not believe this will effect the resultant runtime application, but I have not tested it yet. Has anyone experienced this? It is just a little frustrating. I am running FactoryTalk View Studio ME v12 and the original runtime application was created in v8.

1. Does it add an asterisk if you use the caption "LIFTERS_DWN" (11 characters)?
  2. Does it add an asterisk if you use the caption "LIFTERS_DO" (10 characters)?
  3. Does it add an asterisk if you use the caption "LIFTERS_DOWNNNNN" (16 characters)?

Reduce the font size and see.

If the scenario is on a text box, if the drawn textbox is not long enough, will cause the text to truncate as well

It will not affect the button in runtime, but it's a PITA to watch

1. Does it add an asterisk if you use the caption "LIFTERS_DWN" (11 characters)?
  2. Does it add an asterisk if you use the caption "LIFTERS_DO" (10 characters)?
  3. Does it add an asterisk if you use the caption "LIFTERS_DOWNNNNN" (16 characters)?

I am at the lowest font size (8) and in state 0 "LIFTERS DOWN" also at 8 prints as written. In State 1 these are the results of your query.
1. It places an asterisk in place of the N
2. It places an asterisk in place of the O
3. It places an asterisk in place of the last N of 5 N's

I am at the lowest font size (8) and in state 0 "LIFTERS DOWN" also at 8 prints as written. In State 1 these are the results of your query.
1. It places an asterisk in place of the N
2. It places an asterisk in place of the O
3. It places an asterisk in place of the last N of 5 N's

Then how about "LIFTERS_DOWN " (space at end, or maybe two)?

The asterisk is indicating that there are characters beyond what is being displayed. It doesn't have to be alpha-numeric, it also counts spaces and line feeds.
I am posting three images, pay attention to the position of the cursor. In each of the three images, the cursor is located at the end of the string. The first is just the characters "LIFTERS_DOWN". The second has two spaces added to the end. Note the asterisk to the right of the N. The third has no spaces, but I pressed enter before applying moving the cursor down a row. Note the N has been replaced with an asterisk. Hopefully this helps you figure out what is going on.

No Extra Characters.png Spaces Added.png Return Added.png

The asterisk is indicating that there are characters beyond what is being displayed. It doesn't have to be alpha-numeric, it also counts spaces and line feeds.
I am posting three images, pay attention to the position of the cursor. In each of the three images, the cursor is located at the end of the string. The first is just the characters "LIFTERS_DOWN". The second has two spaces added to the end. Note the asterisk to the right of the N. The third has no spaces, but I pressed enter before applying moving the cursor down a row. Note the N has been replaced with an asterisk. Hopefully this helps you figure out what is going on.

Thanks MikeyN, this was exactly the case. In the process of editing the caption, I must have hit the carriage return (Enter) and not deleted the spaces when I re-edited the caption. The spaces from the carriage return remained until I deleted the spaces added by the carriage return.(y)