FactoryTalk View Studio ME - I must be missing something

Good morning all,

So I have a project I'm working on. I created some basic HMI screens (PV Plus 1250) in FTVSME, then I went into Studio 5000 and made tags aliasing my IO points. No logic written yet.

I saved my project in Studio 5000, exited out and reopened my project in FTVSME. I read up about how to link RSLinx Enterprise Server to my offline project, loaded it up and tried to make some buttons and lights to see my tags.

Instead, I got folders filled with IO addresses - none of my nice descriptive tags show up. I recreated the the server, rebooted my computer - still no tags. Which seems odd since I've seen several sites (including here) mention that everything is name-based these days.

Clearly I am missing something, some step I have not done. How can I access my nicely-named tags? Online resources only describe how to connect via a full set of hardware, and I do not have a $10k PLC setup on my bench to even attempt that.

If there is a way around this problem (export/import/excel/CSV/etc) that you use, please provide some general instructions on how to go about it.

Thanks!

TM

I didn't really understand what you mean -

"Instead, I got folders filled with IO addresses - none of my nice descriptive tags show up. I recreated the the server, rebooted my computer - still no tags. Which seems odd since I've seen several sites (including here) mention that everything is name-based these days."

Anyway

I don't have my work PC with me now, hope you understand my explanations without any image to help.

1. Add a tag specifier [Can't recall what it is actually called]

2. In the RSLinx Enterprise setup inside FTView on the bottom there is a place you can specify the offline 5K file, set it up first.

Then close the RSLinx Enterprise setup

On the screen you created, say you have button, in its properties box, under communications, click the ellipses and when tag browser appear, click on the offline, all the tags you created in 5K will appear, choose the right tag,- done.

Sometimes I find you need to close open the FTView in the first time when you want to browse the offline tags.

Regards

Okay, figured it out with a little help from a coworker

I was diving too deep. I was looking for the tags under the IO folders, and it turns out they are all under the "offline" folder, one long mess of them.

Thanks for the assist!

TM