FactoryTalk View Studio & Panelview 1000 plus compact

MikeSr

I have used the FactoryTalk View Studio only once and it was a few years back. My question is :
1) Is the PanelView Plus 1000 Compact compatible with this software?
2) If yes When I configure the RS Linx Enterprise Comms for ethernet, it finds it in the Drop down tree. However, when I try to load a project file (runtime), is recieve the following mesage from the transfer utility "The destination selected is not a valid device. Please select a valid destination and try again.

Not sure what I am doing wrong!

Thanks

Which version of FTView ME Studio are you running ?

You have to create a Runtime file that is aimed at the firmware version running in the terminal.

I use FTView ME Studio 6.0, and the default firmware target selection is version 6 (the modern hardware). I can also choose versions 5.1, 5.0, 4.0... any older version, as long as I haven't used a feature that's only present in newer firmware.

So determine which firmware revision is running in your Compact terminal, and match it when you create a Runtime.

There's a checkbox in FTView Studio ME when you create a new project to make it compatible with a PV+Compact, or you can change the terminal type in the Project Settings dialog later.

Edit 1: The PV+ Compact was first released with version 5.10 firmware, so you need FTView Studio 5.10 or 6.0 to create a project for it.
Edit 2: The PV+ Compact hardware supports v5.10 firmware only. There is no v6 hardware or firmware for the "Compact" terminals yet.

Last edited:
1) It appears that 6.0 is (earlier versions may be as well).
2) I've never used a compact, but when you crate a new project, there is a check box for when your application is for a compact terminal. Did you check this when you created your project?

What version of Factory Talk are you using?

Edit: too slow :(

From version 5.1 on FTview is compatible with PV plus compact displays, you have to check that your display is compact at the begining of the design, look up on explorer pane, then system, then project setting.
If your version is prior to 5.1 you have to upgrade it.

Welcome to the Compact Range - YOU WILL LOVE to hate IT

I was told recently that there is a free download pkg to program the Compact range available Now.

Avoid using the web browser to program - TOO SLOW.
I have also been told there is a firmware update - This may solve your other issues.

Ian, you're thinking of the PanelView Component series of terminals.

The PanelView Plus Compact is a limited-feature license of the PanelView Plus that limits the number of screens, tags, and trends. It uses the conventional FactoryTalk View Studio editor, not the browser-based editor.

So far it looks like a Software version issue. I am using version 5.0.0. The Panelview version mentioned will work with version 5.20 or newer. I am downloading a software update and will post a response if it works. I must admit, I have learned to Hate Rockwell Automation products, mostly due to the never ending expense required to use there products.

Hi Ken - I am not sure - I have programmed the panelview compact using i/explorer - web based it was a pain.
Our local distributor just told me about the package - so no Idea past that.

Mike - your comments about AB are being repeated world wide - They have become a Joke - and a lot of companies are starting to pull the pin if they can.

So far it looks like a Software version issue. I am using version 5.0.0. The Panelview version mentioned will work with version 5.20 or newer. I am downloading a software update and will post a response if it works. I must admit, I have learned to Hate Rockwell Automation products, mostly due to the never ending expense required to use there products.

Every manufacturer of PLC/HMI products has its issues. I too have been frustrated at times with Rockwell products but they are still our preferred supplier. Sounds like in your case it's just a matter of not understanding how the software/firmware issue works. If you want to experience true never ending expense then you might want to try Wonderware.

Why RA chooses to subdivide their products into more and more different and confusing categories with such similar names, I will never understand.

Have to agree with you on this one Okie. Although I know the difference between the Component and Compact I find myself sometimes switching the names around. I have tried the PV Component on several projects but since the PV+ Compact has become available I have stayed away from the Component.