FactoryTalk View Studio SE Client

mike3475

Hi, Everyone:
I got one project for upgrading desktop PC form window XP to window 10. this PC was running FactoryTalk SE Client application and it connects to one regular LCD display (HMI). IT will install window 10 on the new desktop PC.I only experienced with PVP which we can install ME runtime file.
I don't know how to install the software on this new PC and run FactoryTalk View SE Client application on this new PC.
anyone has idea about it?
thanks!

you may have to rebuild the HMI depending on the version of windows xp you have. 32bit to 64bit factorytalk view SE doesn't work.

The best and simplest solution i've ran into has been to virtualize the old PC running the HMI and then run it on a newer computer in vmware or other virtual pc software.

Although, if you absolutely need to get it on windows 10 because you need windows 10 features with the application. then do a full conversion, maybe check this out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbVMMa7UG3Y

Last edited:
So the question I have is, where is the FT Server installed? The client software connects to a server where the application is actually running. Is the server running on the same PC or is it on a separate machine? If the server is running on another machine then all you need to install is the FT Client.

On the original Windows XP machine copy the CLI file to a USB drive and then copy that over to the new Windows 10 machine. The CLI file has all the configuration settings to tell your client PC where it will find the remote server. I usually place the CLI file on the desktop so all someone has to do is double-click on it from the desktop. But you might need to locate it on the XP machine.

You will need the installation files for SE. When you launch it, you will be asked what you want to install. You can select just the Client. The tricky part will be after it has been installed, you will need to run the Specify FactoryTalk Directory tool. That tool will allow your Windows 10 PC to connect to your network FactoryTalk applications.

OG

sorry for my mistake, the old desktop pc was window 7 /64 bits.
will find out where is FT server installed later.
later we may come up more questions to ask.
very appreciated help from OG and Ian!

You may want to run it as a local station. This allows you to not have a central server that is home to all the HMI files but instead use the new windows 10 PC as your HMI server. The client file then references the the local station for the files. This solution is typically best if you only ever plan to have one client (the new windows 10 PC) and don't plan to add additional clients later.

If the PC was previously running View SE then this is likely what the setup was originally. If that is the case, you'll need to upgrade the existing SE server to a version compatible with windows 10.

Now I prefix this by saying I haven't done this in SE, only ME, so hopefully some other people will chime in if I say something incorrect. I believe you can generate a backup file (.apb if I recall correctly) in you old windows 7 machine and restore that to a server in your new windows 10 PC running the new version of view studio you decide to upgrade to. This can all be done in the Factorytalk View SE Application Manager.

let me clarify everything:
we have 3 old desktop PCs, all are window 7/64 bits and all need to replace with new window 10 PC. two (identical) are SE client PCs, one is SE server PC and installed SE studio with, one HMI application installed in SE server is network distributed. now we just got FTView V13.00 which we want to upgrade to and 3 new PCs will install window 10, not sure the old PCs FTView version.
if i am correct, i need to install SE client (software) into both SE client new PCs and copy .cli file from old SE client PC and then paste to new SE client PC. install SE server (software) and SE studio (software) into SE server new PC, back up old SE server HMI application To .apb file and then restore it to new SE server PC in the default location with FactoryTalk View SE Application Manager.
another thing need to do:
pre-installation configuration:
• Disable Windows automatic updates
• Manually configure Network Interface Cards and switch ports
• Disable or uninstall third-party firewalls
• Remove Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration
• Set up Data Execution Prevention if needed
• Remove unnecessary DCOM networking protocols
Post-installation steps:
• Specify the Network Directory server location
• Configure a TLS certificate
• Install product updates

if i missed something, please let me know.
Thanks everyone including jjesnson !