Feedmill plant operation

chandrapaul

HMI design made by me and PLC program made in RSLOGIX 500.

Screen-Shot-05-03-16-at-04.58-PM.png

Is it operational yet or still at the design stage?

I take it by you posting this up that you are relatively new at this and wanted opinions on it?

I would say, very nicely done, you.

The colours are a "little" bit on the extreme side, but I've seen a lot worse. The Black background is very dark. I would suggest a lighter colour instead to make it a little easier on the eye (See attached).

The Pink colour for "OFF" on your valves/slides or whatever they are is a little bit too strong in my opinion and you would be better sticking to the standard Red with perhaps a border around them to distinguish from the Red pipes behind them (See attached).

A unique name per valve/slide would also be useful. If the text appears to be "clogging" up the screen then it's often good practice to apply device IDs using a toggle button to quickly reveal and hide multiple device IDs on an entire display (See attached).

Also, on your "EXTRUDER OFF" object, the "R" is wrapped around to beside "OFF" on the second line - "R OFF" (See attached). If there is also an "EXTRUDER ON" object then make sure it's correct as well.

A small point of confusion - what is the "EMERGENCY OFF (OFF)" meant to indicate? This looks a bit confusing with the double "OFF" reference?

Here's an edited version, if you don't mind, with some of my suggestions...
Screen-Shot-05-03-16-at-04.58-PM-Edited.png

The flow diagram layout looks straight forward and easy to follow, which is always good. There are always lots of little pointers and critiques to be made with any HMI design, but all in all I think you've done a pretty good job there.

Regards,
George

Too many bright colors in my opinion. I was looking at all the red objects expecting them to be in alarm, but they're just off.

Emergency off is misspelled in the bottom right also.

thanks for your suggestions. i will follow them. the project is now ready for operation.

Is it operational yet or still at the design stage?

I take it by you posting this up that you are relatively new at this and wanted opinions on it?

I would say, very nicely done, you.

The colours are a "little" bit on the extreme side, but I've seen a lot worse. The Black background is very dark. I would suggest a lighter colour instead to make it a little easier on the eye (See attached).

The Pink colour for "OFF" on your valves/slides or whatever they are is a little bit too strong in my opinion and you would be better sticking to the standard Red with perhaps a border around them to distinguish from the Red pipes behind them (See attached).

A unique name per valve/slide would also be useful. If the text appears to be "clogging" up the screen then it's often good practice to apply device IDs using a toggle button to quickly reveal and hide multiple device IDs on an entire display (See attached).

Also, on your "EXTRUDER OFF" object, the "R" is wrapped around to beside "OFF" on the second line - "R OFF" (See attached). If there is also an "EXTRUDER ON" object then make sure it's correct as well.

A small point of confusion - what is the "EMERGENCY OFF (OFF)" meant to indicate? This looks a bit confusing with the double "OFF" reference?

Here's an edited version, if you don't mind, with some of my suggestions...
Screen-Shot-05-03-16-at-04.58-PM-Edited.png

The flow diagram layout looks straight forward and easy to follow, which is always good. There are always lots of little pointers and critiques to be made with any HMI design, but all in all I think you've done a pretty good job there.

Regards,
George

First of all great design, but since you posted here I'm guessing you are also asking for possible improvements. Looking good doesn't always means it's the best/safest/easiest to use.

There are many different opinions on HMI design without much actual research. Research typically only happens after accidents.
Colors should be kept to a minimum and mainly used to draw attention to something important.
Don't only use red for off, green for on, use words as well. Around 8% of men have some type of colorblindness. You can use a simulator like http://www.color-blindness.com/coblis-color-blindness-simulator/
Take a look at this document which I think explains it well: http://www.opto22.com/documents/2061_High_Performance_HMI_white_paper.pdf

Specifically on your HMI I would get rid of a lot of the colors and your L1, L2, L3 I'm assuming is red for off and green for on? If so add the word on/off below like you have done for the other things on the HMI. You are using boxes to represent valves I think, you could maybe consider using 2 triangles. Filled in as closed, not filled in as open and with on/off/locked open/locked closed/opening/closing/defective(in red) next to it as well. I'm assuming you are entering the amount of kilograms for each type of feed manually? If so you could maybe consider adding recipes so a preset could be easily loaded called for example : cowfeedlight, chickenfeedheavy. This could reduce the likelyhood of errors entering the weights.

Here is another document worth a read:
http://www.pas.com/Downloads-(1)/PAS-Technology-Conference/Presentations/PTC-042313-1450A-PAS.aspx

Last edited:
-Way too many colors. Use lots of grays and bland colors and only bright colors for the status of machines
-Remove the "Made By". Unless its a company logo, it looks really cheesy.
-Unless those arrows are animated, make them smaller, black and put them on the pipes.