ferrule Question

jimtech67

I do not use ferrules on my panel terminals.
I use screw terminal. (Old school guy)

For those of you that use ferrules on your stranded wire..
Do you use ferrules on the wires connected the panel components that have screw terminals, saddle terminals etc ???

Yes I do, sometimes depending on the terminal I may use fork crimp-ons. It depends on how well I think a ferrule will make contact.

Recently commissioned a panel that had ferrules on every wire, and it was one of the most painless panel commissioning experiences I've ever had. I hadn't specified ferrules to be used, but they went ahead and did it anyways, and I may start specifying them as a result. We were using screw terminals (AB 1492) and they made removing and re-terminating wires a lot easier, no having to worry about the wire being bent or whiskers sticking out from the terminal.

I just posted this pic on another thread... I/we use them because they look good, our customers see our wires/terminations so they need to look clean, my guy that builds my trainers is a electrician that has OCD (a lot of them/you do) and it looks good, they are used on all of our trainers and some have push terminals and some have screw and some have spring, I think they work good with all different types

20200303_143737 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I never use ferules on our screw terminals , on component I use it on everything I can. Some components cant fit ferules so then I leave it without. That being said , if the connection is bad and the screw is pressing directly on the wire you have to use ferules to avoid damaging the wire, but those connections are rare. Also, over 2,5mm2 wire I dont use it

Ferrules are good, as long as they are crimped on properly. I've pulled many wires out of the ferrules that someone just tried using just a pair of pliers to crimp.

As well we've had no end of grief with ferrules in Point I/O 1734 spring terminals, where the collar of the ferrule would prevent the conductor from properly engaging with the spring. Making it look like it was in the right terminal when it wasn't actually in the terminal, combined with the fact that the spring point can't be used to meter the terminal, combined with it being difficult to enter a tool at just the right angle to release the conductor, combined with the joy of trying to remove a ferrule stuck in the terminal after the conductor pulled out.