Flex 1794-ie8 analog input module problem

smsp

Hi guys,
Recently one of our AB Flex 1794-ie8 Series A analog input module has failed and we replaced it with a new one but a new module is Series B which need to be configured.The problem is we don't know how to configure this new module.Hope you guys can give some advice ... Thank in advanceo_O

You are using an AB Flex 1794-ie8 connected to what processor
In most cases you just need to let the processor know what the module is in the I/O status now to do this this we need to know more detail if we are to help you.

Thank Gil47,
Forgive me for not giving more detail ,
The AB Flex 1794-ie8 is connected to processor PLC5/40B through remote i/o adapter 1794-ASB.currently the ladder logic use BTR and BTW to read from AB Flex 1794-ie8 Series A but when we change to AB Flex 1794-ie8 Series B it seem the processor not reading from the module (the reading is zero and not changing).I read through the manual and it mention we have to configure the series B module but it doesn't show how to do it.Do we need other software or just use RSlogix5? .

Tq. :confused::confused::confused:

Post your .RSP file ( zip it first). Tell us where the module is located.
Is the module configured in the I/O configuration? PLC5's don't require this but it sure helps if you do it.
If the module is in the I/O configuration then it can be set up through the BTW/BTR instruction. ( double click on it). If not then you will have to manually set up the configuration words. See manual for this.

Link to the manual

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/1794-um002_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
The existing BTW is used to send the configuration to the module. The BTR is used to read the analog values from the module.

Are you sure that the BTW has executed after the module was replaced? If in doubt, you may want to edit the logic to make the BTW true (at least temporarily). The series B module has a couple of new features but should still work with the original BTW config....that is if it was properly set up for the old one...

Paul

Attached is the BTR/BTW rung from our plant.I don't know if it was set up correctly because it was from the beginning of the plant set up back 1996 (i guess it was correct because so far it is working) .
moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

It's in the manual !!!

You have to take the cover off the module. Each channel (8) has jumpers to configure. If I remember right you can select current or voltage plus differential or single ended. The later denotes how the devices are wired.
I have had the same problem, I've had to read and learn, once set right it was plug and play so to speak.
Good Luck

You have to take the cover off the module. Each channel (8) has jumpers to configure. If I remember right you can select current or voltage plus differential or single ended. The later denotes how the devices are wired.
I have had the same problem, I've had to read and learn, once set right it was plug and play so to speak.
Good Luck

The 1794-IE8 does not have jumpers. The current and voltage inputs are wired to different terminals. That I am aware of.

Can you show us a screen shot of the jumpers you are talking about?

smsp,
That picture really does not help us help you. Can you post the .RSP file? The whole thing.

Last edited:
Dear all,
After much trying and reading the manual ,finally i manage to configure the 1794-IE8 module.As pointed out by Mickey that module doesn't have jumpers ,only the wiring connection differentiate between mA or Voltage input.Actually the problem is because the range selection is not set.For series A the range selection is not set (all bit in BTW is zero) and will read 4-20 mA but for series B it will read 0.So for series B the BTW word we have to set for example ch0 bit 8 =1 and bit 0=0 for the BTR to read 4-20 mA.
Anyway thank for all the feedback ,at least i got some idea on what when wrong with the configuration.