Free DF1 driver

Good work Jiri... Few months back, I was looking for a free DF1 code for some customer who don't want to use RSlinx. They want to run it on Linux systems and finally I went on writing my own code . It took me almost a week's time to understand the protocol and implement code to read from 1 register. I know the pain.. Now you have created a code with lot of features.. I don't have .net but will definitely have a look on it once i get a copy of .net installed in my PC.

Great job.. keep it up..

I saw it

Leicht,
I visited your web site and saw your drivers. You have one for
Linux and one for Delphi under Windows. Will your Delphi driver work
in VS.NET? Also what about in Excel?

Fantastic!

Jiri,
This is ideal for the applications/situations I deal with. I applaud you!
Now, to look a gift horse in the mouth: Any chance of a driver for the AD plcs?
I've recently converted from AB to AD bricks for our applications...

-Mike

Mike,

It took fair amount of time to do the DF1 driver. It would be nice if someone else would take up the challenge and code the AD driver or for that matter any other driver. Hell it would be nice to have
a bunch of free drivers, wouldn't it? But I guess it's a lot easier just talking about it rather then doing it.

If you go on to MrPLC web site you will find a bunch of free software for download. Unfortunatelly it's a type of software that takes only days to complete. Comm driver will take months and hence the problem.

Great Driver :)

I'm pleased I dont have to use RSLinx anymore! I'm surprised that RSLinx is not detected as a virus!!
RSLinx causes more problems than any other program we use!

I'm trying to write my own OPC server for bradley's

Fi_C. After using RSLinx extensively since it was first released I cannot imagine what you are prattling on about. Besides I think you will find that Jiri's excellent driver is not a replacement for RSLinx, rather it is an alternative for just one small subset of it's functionality.

Your depth of expertise is also precisely quantified by refering to the Rockwell Automation, Allen-Bradley brand name as "bradley's".

PS . For all of you who want just the DF1 driver connecting to just one PLC, there is a much lower cost Single Node version of RSLinx. (Which supports OPC ver 2.0 of course.)

On the other hand I have also used a locally built VB based HMI for which Jiri's free driver would have been ideal. Horses for courses. Actually there are a number of free or low cost DF1 drivers around, indeed hundreds have probably written that have never been publically released. What Jiri has done give us a .NET Framework driver. The useful part is not so much the PLC side (which still took a lot of work to get right) but the fact that it opens up VB.NET on the application side. Anyone got any hot applications in mind?

Last edited:
Fi_c said:
I'm surprised that RSLinx is not detected as a virus!!
3.gif

It does mimic a Denial of Service (DoS) attack on the serial port while running... ;)

🍻

-Eric