Frustrating 1784-KTX problem

gravitar

Here's the deal.. I've got a PIII-866 motherboard with an ISA slot. I put a 1784-KTX in (set to D700), and loaded XP and RSLinx 2.50 on the drive. Linx won't recognize the card, says "the process map object could not be created". Tried a few other memory locations, same thing. Loaded the NT 1784-KTX diagnostics.. Diagnostic tool sees it just fine. On a whim I tried booting that same system into W98.. RSLinx 2.21 under W98 sees the card just fine.

So I'm starting to think that the problem isn't actually a hardware resource conflict, but just some quirk with RSLinx in XP. Any thoughts?

Suprised to see that XP would work on a PIII computer. Have you tried Win2k? How about using a 1784-PKTX card?

I'm running XP just fine on machines older than that!

Just a thought, maybe try leaving the KTX set for D700 but in RSLinx set the memory address to D600 and if that doesn't work, try D800. I've run into memory issues before with other old ISA style cards.

However, most often the problem with the KTX does tend to be Interrupt related. Do you have it set to none? That is what I always set these cards to. This would act differently in W98 versus WinXP. XP uses interrupts differently than W98 did.

OG

I had the same problem years ago with my KTX card. Running under win95 I had to set the software address at 300 lower that the hardware setting to get it to work. When we upgraded to win98 the software address had to be 600 lower than the hardware setting. AB tech support was never able to explain why, but it worked.

vettedrivr said:
I had the same problem years ago with my KTX card. Running under win95 I had to set the software address at 300 lower that the hardware setting to get it to work. When we upgraded to win98 the software address had to be 600 lower than the hardware setting. AB tech support was never able to explain why, but it worked.

How did you stumble on to that?

If I remember right (9 years ago) it was something in the Rockwell Automation knowledgebase. I know I read it somewhere when I was looking for why I couldn't get the KTX card to work. When I went to win98 and couldn't get it to work again, that's when I called tech support. The reply was "If lowering the setting 300 worked once, lower it another 300". The hardware address started out at D700 and ended up at D100, I don't know what I would do if I had to upgrade operating systems on that computer again, the hardware address doesn't go into negitive numbers.

The old KTX card will only work on Pentium machines running 450 MHz or slower with an ISA slot.

The newer PKTX cards work in the current generation PCs.

You could try getting into the computer's BIOS on startup and see if you can slow it down. Some BIOS' have a "compatible" setting that often works to slow down a machine that needs to use old hardware/software.

These old ISA cards can be troublesome. You could also go into the BIOS and manually assign an interrupt and memory settings for a specific slot. Not all BIOS' let you do that though.

OG

KTX fun

Make sure the Jumper on the Int select is on the right top vertical pins. This means no int selected. On many newer computers the conflict can be from setting this to a used IRQ. Also, memory selection is important. Try D0000 and C0000 length 4K. For some reason D700 on P2 P3 servers is not a good choice. I work with Compaq Proliant and Home brew machines. This has been my experience. My desktop P2 and P3 Gateway and compaqs are OK with D700. This maybe a server issue but I havn't inestigated this enough to be sure. Remember ISA slots have to be manually configured.