FT View Historian Client

Tim Ganz

Trying to do some work on an FT View SE server and I don't see a client to be able to access the historian. Should there be a client to access the historian?

I don't seem to have one on the historian server box. A reason you would put it somewhere else? and if so would you not still have one on the historian box? Best practice?

You can configure trends in the clients, that access historian values. To access/modify the historian you will need a machine with SMT (System management tool). Should be part of the historian install and native to the historian machine, You can trend, add, delete, and lots more.

Best practice is to keep the Historian server off-limits except for the people who administer it's configuration. You can have a "client" there, in the form of FactoryTalk VantagePoint (ugh) or Excel DataLink add-on, for admin only use, if you wanted. At one time Rockwell licensed an OSI PI tool called 'Process Book'; don't know if that one is still available. The SMT Ken mentioned is an admin-level tool.

Our typical installation would provide end-user client access to the data through other FactoryTalk Directory member computers that have VantagePoint, Excel DataLink, and/or TrendPro objects on SE graphics.

I think there are other third-party client applications that can be configured to access Historian data, too.