FTV 6.10 “Unable to load ActiveX control for display" HELP

Hello everyone,

I am currently working on a project for Factory talk view 6.10 SE.

When I open the program, there are several error messages.

One is “Unable to load ActiveX control for display “display name” cause: Factory talk alarm and event banner: newer file version of ActiveX control required.

States there is a missing file on the servicer. I am not on the server when I am at my desk.

What should I do at this point?

I can open the file but it will not allow me to save the program at all.

Is there a free way to download the newer ActiveX program?

Also, I do not want to damage my older programs that are currently using the older version of ActiveX if I install the newer version.

What should I do?

Create a virtual machine, with exactly the same revision, patches, addons, and whatever are on the target system.

Or throw FTView away, and replace it with anything else.

You have different FactoryTalk patch revisions on the SE server and client. Unfortunately, Rockwell has not provided an easy method to check which version of patches are installed so hopefully you have some record. All of the PC's sharing the FactoryTalk directory should have the same FactoryTalk patch revisions. You may be able to solve the issue by updating all of them to the latest patch - hopefully your FT directory is fairly small.

Reference Rockwell knowledgebase article 67244 and 24797.

Last edited:
Without being onsite with the clients program and know what all they have added or changed.
If I updated my computer to the newer activeX would it affect all my programs?
Where can I download a safe version of this update?

FT patches are neither forwards nor backwards compatible. If you are setup properly for this client you will likely have problems with another client. The ActiveX controls cause the most compatibility problems so it sometimes helps to avoid their use. For example use the standard alarm component rather than FTAE. Or maybe make VM images of each setup for each of your clients.

For your current problem you will need to figure out which version of ActiveX control is on your clients server and install that version. Alternatively you can get the CAB file from the clients FT server and copy it to your PC. This file is located C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\RSView Enterprise\ActiveX Control Setup

If you just want to check (validate) your patches, use the below utility
https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/30393

Expert tip: you can use that EXE to validate any files that you want. Create/modify your own *.PFV file to check for files as you need; even if they don't match the Rockwell patch files.

You can also download patch updates from Rockwell on their support website.
Look for "Patch Roll-up".