FX3U-ENET-ADP how to connect and read strings?

hewking

hi All

I am completely green in Mitsubishi PLC (i used to program siemens) but need kepware to connect to FX3U pls with ENET adp module.

Could somebody pls help me with the very basics as kepware does not talk to the FX3U yet:

1. What software do i need to read configuration/potentially do changes to FX3U and ENET? - is it free?
  2. How to check the port that the PLC is using - i assumed 5001 as default but it did not work- it is FX3 setting or ENET module setting?
  3. What kepware driver is best for the FX3 with ENET module? - at the moment ethernet driver seemed obvious choice to me
  4. Does ENET adp adapter can server only 1 connection at the time - is it hardware limit or something i can configure in the PLC?
  5. I will be trying to read strings from FX but how are these strings normally stored in mitsubishi FX3? - i found in the documentation that its either DSL or DSH area - is it something that has to be configured upfront or can i just use either DSL or DSH memory area?
Massive thanks for any help upfront

Regards

You need to configure the ENET module i.e. the IP, the protocol (for Kepserver use UDP) I will post something you can read any type of variables strings, decimal, floats bit etc. I have not used the ADP card but I suspect it is similar to the extension block FX3U-ENET.
Here is my configuration for that extension module not sure about the ADP card though. you will need GX Developer or GXWorks 2

FX-Enet.png Mitsi Coms3.png

Massive thanks for reply and helpful screeshots.
1 I am bit curious - is UDP preferred way than TCP because it is quicker or other reason?
2 Looking at the screenshots Kepware uses 5000 UDP but Mitsi has 2 ports configured 5000 and 5002 - i thought only 1 port was needed - any chance you expand why 2 ports?
Best Regards
hewking

The one I showed you is actually for the QJ71 Enet, however, it works on FX with the ENET add on card, the ports should be 5000 & 5001 (my pic shows 5001 not 5002, one is the send & the other is receive, On the Q series people have had trouble getting it to work as I did, Kepware help line said UDP is the way to go, & the two ports 5000 & 5001, I have also heard this from others.
If the card is the ENET then it is configured with FX Configurator EN but I think for the ADP it is done in the PLC parameters I have never used that one so it is possible it could be different. The Kepserver driver help is pretty good, perhaps have a look at that, my version is getting a little old now so it could have changed a bit.

thanks for reply.
So the next step for me is to download GX Developer or GXWorks 2 and then open actual backup of the PLC program to check which ports were used in the communication block or some configuration settings.

Yes you will need GX which ever version, some things you need to know if programmed in GX Developer then the code will be in ladder but no comments or symbols (unless the original programmer downloaded them (they rarely do), if it was programmed in GXIEC or GXWorks & they used FBD/LAD then the code will only load up as ladder like above with no comments, however, If the programmer downloaded the symbol file it can be re-constructed but again it is unlikely, the ladder will be very complex to follow as GXIEC/Works can use different program files with jumps to subroutines so the main ladder is split into sections from ladder 0 to a "FEND" after that go the subroutines the code will certainly confuse you as if programmed with Function blocks then the parameters are transferred to reserved data areas like D9000 etc & any returns passed back to the main program, GXIEC had a few compiler bugs, the code produced would compile & run, but if you upload to GXDeveloper session sometimes the code sees an error i.e. a contact that is not connected to a rung, so will not compile again however, changing to instruction list will allow it to be downloaded again, unless it is a complex run in GXIEC you should not have any errors.
Also note it is possible that the programmer has password protected the PLC so you will not be able to get the program uploaded without the password.

I am only after checking configuration of ports for Enet adp (for which i hope gx developer will be sufficient) so it talks to Kepware and i hope it will not the that complex - i hope:) Thanks for the details mentioned above so i will be cautions as figuring out this stuff myself could be both time consuming and paintful.

Is the card already fitted or are you intending to fit a new card ?.
Here is the manual for the ADP card, it shows you how to set it up although not on UDP but it's worth trying both, the protocol that Kepserver uses is MC Protocol so you cn have both MC & programming ports setup i.e. it means you can go on-line with the programming software as well as other applications

https://eu-assets.contentstack.com/...ba/6172081de290906d829a09d1/JY997D45801-F.pdf

As I mentioned never used that card but in Kepserver if the port settings do not work perhaps set the protocol to use ethernet encapsulation, you do not need this on the ENET card but kepserver mentions something about it for FX Ethernet so either this is for sending data over ethernet to a ethernet to 232/422 converter (I know that works as I have done it to an FX2N with a 232BD board) or it may work direct.GX Developer I think is now not availlable so GXWorks 2 (which has GXDevelope built in) will, it's not cheap though.

I have just remembered, on the q series, we had an existing system where the I/O driver was the Mitsubishi direct driver in MX4 Scada, We were in the process of replacing the scada with the latest IFIX using Kepware as the I/O server, ironically, the existing settings of the Ethernet card were about 10 Melsec connections, we were going to add the UDP connections for kepserver, however, we forgot to change the settings on the QJ71 Ethernet card but it worked anyway, no idea why but Kepserver configured as UDP, PLC Ethernet card only set as melsec connection communicated without any errors, so we left it. It certainly ran for about 8 years before the plant was scrapped.

hi
Thanks again for great info.
The card is already in the PLC so i will not be fitting anything.

As I mentioned never used that card but in Kepserver if the port settings do not work perhaps set the protocol to use ethernet encapsulation, you do not need this on the ENET card but kepserver mentions something about it for FX Ethernet so either this is for sending data over ethernet to a ethernet to 232/422 converter

Any chance you expand on the encapsulation comment? As i understand ethernet channel on Kepware is first choice but if there are problems then i could try "FX NET" - but do you know how would this encapsulation work in principle?

thanks for sharing this
If i understand correctly - Kepware was configured to use UDP but on the PLC enet card there was no setting for UDP to allow this - but it still somehow worked? Just brainstorming but maybe Mitsi similar to allen bradley allow some smart path-through routing via other connected PLC to which original PLC was connected. I had some experience with siemens but not the others

I have no idea why it worked but perhaps the explanation below will give you some ideas.
The original Q series PLc we did this on had MX4 Scada (actually MX4 is an IFIX scada re-badged by Mitsubishi), it had two things going on, first of all was the built in driver for Mitsubishi plus a utility program using Mitsubishi's own MX component for communication.
The Scada communicated with the master PLC via ethernet, the utility program (actually a recipe handling system) built in Visual Basic for getting recipes from an SQL server & downloading to the PLC, so in effect the scada & the recipe handling were two totally seperate programs running on the PC, the only settings on the PLC for the Ethernet card were about 10 Melsec connections this is usual for Mitsubishi software to communicate i.e. not for other applications like Kepware. The Scada system was poorly designed regarding the graphics there were over 70 pages, graphics were very poor & the diagrams incorrect as far as flow, the company that did it eventually gave up supporting us, so we decided to upgrade, I had already done extensive mods on the PLCs 8 of them networked by NETH another coms link.
As this was a working system the new scada had to be tested thoroughly off line, I modified the plc's i.e. temporarily remove calls to the I/O, wrote a simulation package, as time was short, another company did the new IFIC scada, it was a big system nearly 1500 valves, 50 odd motors ASI sensors for the valves 22 tanks a very big system, The told me they had problems with the Kepware driver communicationg to our spare PLC so I went to their offices, talked to Kepware & they said UDP is the way to go this worked as per the UDP configuration I posted. We tested everything & it worked like a dream, on the day of the changeover, the idea was to connect the new scada to the live system, leave the existing Melsec connections and add the UDP connections to the Ethernet card on the Master PLC, we plugged it in as the plant was already running (I was going to wait for a slot to modify the PLC card), but it worked straitaway so we left it, no idea why it worked, the other firms engineer had tried TCP on the trial PLC with the same connections as per the running system but could not get it to work.
From that point I did not bother to modify the Ethernet for UDP as it was working.
As for the ethernet encapsulation this was to get data from 8 packaging machines, these all had FX2N PLC's there was no room to fit the Ethernet module on the FX's, so I fitted the 232 BD coms boards (fits in the expansion connector on top of the PLC but does not require any space as it sits on it not at the side like the Enet-ADP. We used Ethernet to 232 converters to take the Kepware via Ethernet to the machines, the converters just converted it to 232 for the PLC's, this used the Kepware encapsulation a tick box when you set up what would be 232 connection, this worked well, I was testing on a spare FX3U with the Enet card for another project, loaded the settings I had by mistake for the ethernet encapsulation & it worked, so that is why I suggested it, not that you should need it hopefully you will get it to talk using the UDP settings. I have an FX3U with the Ethernet card, but this is not the same as the ADP so the settings are done via Ethernet utility not in the PLC parameters, If I get time I will try some other methods like TCP etc.
howevr, not having the ADP type board I'm not sure that it works in the same way, but my guess is it must be similar, or perhaps in effect the ADP board acts a bit like an ethernet to serial converter as it plugs in to the same connector as the other add on boards like the 232 or 485 adapters.

When you upload the PLC to GX you need to tick the following
i.e. tick PLC Parameters, program main & Device memory, this will give you the total snapshot of all but symbols, you can try ticking that but if it does not exist then it errors out. Note: the screen I posted is download as the only way I can show it is on the simulator that does not allow upload but the window is almost the same.
This way you not only have the program but the PLC parameters that contain what is configured i.e. retentive areas, communications i.e. ethernet etc.
and of course a snapshot of the data i.e. D registers & M bits as they they are at that time.
There is no need to download the program or Device data again if you only change the PLC parameters for the Ethernet.
Modifying the PLC parameters without taking an upload of the original is dangerous, if some of the parameters have been changed by the original programmer your parameters will be default & may not match the the one in the PLC, also save what you upload as a backup & also save this to a new file to work on if things go pearshaped you can always revert, but hopefully you know that already.

PLC Param.jpg Upload.jpg

I went to site and established comms :)

hi Parky many thanks for help so far. Today i was first time to site and connected to FX3U in benchtest using both UDP and TCP on ENET and using TCP on ENET-ADP (UDP did not work for some reason but we will have to stick to TCP due to the network structure which is not flat).

I am happy but at the same time i realise that my settings are slightly different to yours -any chance your share you opinion on some of my questions please ?

1: in attached picture i configured UDP port as 1 record (Receive) instead of (receive and send)as you were showing and the connection was still working fine. I was able to read and write from the kepware to the integer value.
So the question is what is Fixed buffer setting really for? Also does fixed buffer communication really matter?
2: Regarding Transmission target device ip address which i set up as 255.255.255.255 and you set up as something specific what difference does it make? Is my address setting broadcasting everywhere within the network and your UDP traffic limited to only specific IP?

UDP working on ENET card.jpg

Last edited: