G E Fanuc Problems!!!

keith,

no outputs only the input led's are displayed. no run no ok, and rom check ok ram check ok on hand held is locked up. all circuts are 24 volt.

craig16134 said:
keith,

no outputs only the input led's are displayed. no run no ok, and rom check ok ram check ok on hand held is locked up. all circuts are 24 volt.

No matter how many times you post it, it won't change that "no run no ok, and rom check ok ram check ok on hand held is locked up."

Just a hint of curiousity, the IO modules are on the same chassis or are they remote IO? I had a previous project (link here), and sometimes the remote IO is not very responsive. sometimes you need to clear the configuration, ladder logic etc (make sure to save a backup before doing the clearing of the PLC), and reload the data to kick start the IOs.
Anyway, I've made good progress and even got my modbus going!
regards
Sherine.

Everything points to a bad power supply. Replace it, then post your results. There was some confusion because you had a Run light, then lost it again. That made me think you could have other problems, but I don't think so now.
Go back to Steve's answers, and treat them as fact. He is the GE expert, and has never been wrong!
After you get it running, get some software and do a backup. I'm confident your program is intact for now, but you said support is long gone, so a backup will save you later if your CPU ever fails.
The major clue is the OK light. Steve said that should come on during power up. It isn't, so the power supply (or backplane) is bad.
No run light, strange handheld operation, etc. is all secondary. None of this will work right if you don't have an OK light first.

Quote from Steve:
In your case, if you can't get the OK LED with only a CPU module, your problem is quite likely the power supply.

Last edited:
SMOKE said:
I would think that your fault table is full and the CPU has gone into run stop.
Clear your fault tables there are 2 PLC table and I/O then put it bach into run mode.
The 90-30 will NOT 'Stop' because of a 'Full' fault table. If there are more faults that what the table can hold, faults somewhere after Fault # about 15 will be dropped from the tabel to make room for the new one.
Only Faults that are considered dangerous to operation will cause the PLC to go into 'Stop Mode' and it takes ONLY one of these.

I ordered a new power supply and back plane, It should be here tomorrow.

I'll post my results A S A P.

THANKS FOR EVEYONE'S HELP ON THIS.

I am not familiar with the handheld. But quite familiar with the 90-30. Use them a lot !
Does the handheld have the capacity to look at the fault tables ? Theres where you will see what its upset about. There may be simply a bad CPU in the rack, An misconfigured module, or faulty backplane.
No run mode / outputs would generally tell me there is a fatal fault somewhere.

MATT

Thanks for the advice matt,

I'm still waiting for the power supply to come In. I surly hope It's not the cpu because the e- chip inside the cpu is no longer avaliable.

Recieved new power supply and installed it with no luck. Still no ok and no run light. Back plane should be in friday, but I'm not confident on that being the root problem.

powered down then up again and got ''ok'' light still no run. The run program starts, but the hand held shows #0001
end of program

every time i try to run program it go's to stop mode within seconds.

Cleared all faults with no results. when viewing the program all regs. and picks. are there. New power suypply was no help waiting for back plane. the new power supply did get me a ''OK'' L E D , BUT NO RUN.

SEARCH SHOW'S #0001 [COIL SR]

I have an old 90-30 CPU331 and a Hand-Held.

On those occasions when the PLC gets through its self-test sequence and you get the OK LED to light, when the handheld displays
1. PROGRAM <S
2. DATA
and the cursor is blinking on the top line.

When you press the "ENT" key on the handheld, it displays
1. MAIN <S
2. SUBR
with the cursor blinking on the top line.

Pressing the "ENT" key a second time shows
#0001 <S
<END OF PROGRAM>

That is an indication that there is no program stored in RAM.

When I press the "SRCH" key on the handheld I get the same display as you did.

One thing I discovered, was that when the CPU module is not firmly seated in the backplane, it does not get through the self-test on powerup and the handheld freezes with
ROM CHECK OK
RAM CHECK OK

displayed.

So it appears to me that you have two problems.

First, the CPU module is not firmly seated in the backplane. This could be because the circuit boards are not completely latched into the plastic case.

Second, it appears that the program in memory is lost. I hope you have a backup copy.

Steve,
the plc went from "ok" light to just power light on it's own overnight?? Now it's locked up again in rom,ram check. the eeprom chip burnt from the manufacture in the cpu is unatainable. Even with a new cpu I don't have access to the core program that is written on that chip, Is this true??? I could upload a similar program threw the hand held with a memory card and work threw the "bugs", but with it being locked up 70% of the time I would think that It's a hardware issue. I should have a new backplane soon but am not opptimistic on it. With it going from ok to locked up I'm starting to believe the cpu is gone. any more help from you would be most apprieciated.

craig16134 said:
Steve,
the plc went from "ok" light to just power light on it's own overnight?? Now it's locked up again in rom,ram check.
If you have changing symptoms, then you have an intermittent. Backplane is a good suspect.
Not being able to read the program is a secondary fault - ignore it for now.

Do you have a single failure (backplane) or multiple failures (surge/spike wipes out PS, etc)?
You don't know yet, so pull all the cards and get to the basics - PS, backplane, CPU. Get to the point where you can read your program, or verify that it's gone. You're not there yet. With a new PS and Backplane, then you can prove the CPU is good/bad.
You must be reduced to just the 3 components to do this.

The other choice is to get another PLC from eBay, and use it as a test platform for your CPU.

Steve said he duplicated "RAM,ROM" by poorly seating the CPU.
That tells me the backplane is suspect.

Do you have any programming software or are you limited to viewing the program through the handheld? There is more information available with the programming software than with the handheld.

the eeprom chip burnt from the manufacture in the cpu is unatainable. Even with a new cpu I don't have access to the core program that is written on that chip,

If there is a program stored on an eeprom chip, that program is loaded into RAM on power-up. If it is not locked with an OEM password, you should be able to view it. If the problem turns out to be a bad CPU module, you may be able to move the eeprom from the old CPU to the new one.