Hardware Rev 10.23
Software Rev 3.52
Build number 0
Folder nickname GEP1
SNP ID is blank
Install Memory 16384
Program Logic 144 bytes
Free Memory 16240

That is a very old version of the CPU331. It dates back to around 1994. The oldest version that is recommended for use with VersaPro software is 8.21 Unfortunately, the only way to upgrade a CPU311 to a newer revision level is to replace the EPROM. A new EPROM will cost around $100 from your distributor.

You may have compatibility issues between your CPU and VersaPro. Is Logicmaster software included on your VersaPro CD? If so, install it and try creating an identical configuration and program file with it and using it to download to the PLC.

Minor discrepancy

Steve Bailey said:
That is a very old version of the CPU331. It dates back to around 1994. The oldest version that is recommended for use with VersaPro software is 8.21 Unfortunately, the only way to upgrade a CPU311 to a newer revision level is to replace the EPROM. A new EPROM will cost around $100 from your distributor.

You may have compatibility issues between your CPU and VersaPro. Is Logicmaster software included on your VersaPro CD? If so, install it and try creating an identical configuration and program file with it and using it to download to the PLC.

You stated 331 at the top but 311 later. I know the 311 and 313's rack models have a chip (EPROM) replacement, does the CPU331 use the same type chip and where is it located? Will it still be on the rack or inside the CPU module?

That was a typo on my part. Sorry about the confusion. The CPU331 also has an EPROM chip. CPUs that can be upgraded by reflashing start with the CPU350.

The firmware chip is located on the CPU module. You will have to remove the circuit boards from the plastic case to get at it.

Thanks for the clarification. I assumed it was a typo.

Are the chips available on the dicount market? If so, any suggestions for the source?

Logicmaster software is on the CD. It is v9.02.

Thanks again Steve.

The part number for an upgrade kit for a CPU331 is 44A731232Gxx where xx corresponds to the version number. I don't know what the xx would be for rev 8.21. I know that if you order from your distributor using 44A731232, you'll get the latest version.

I see a couple of them at PLCCenter.com, but I can't tell for sure which revision level they are. I see some chips that are called CPU331 upgrades that have different numbers than the one I cited. I haven't looked at ebay. For something like this, if you choose to go through non-standard channels, do so with a strong admonition of caveat emptor (That's "let the buyer beware" for all you non-latts). Your most reliable source will be through a distributor.

My personal experience with replacing these chips is that when you install the new chip you have to push down on it with a lot more force than you feel comfortable applying.

May I suggest that you try running with LM90 before buying hardware?
Although it's obsolete, many still use it. It certainly is sufficent to get this 2 rung program working, and should still serve well as a training ground.

Your prognosis is correct, revision 3.52 will cause "unpredictable" results with VersaPro or Proficy ME who's support starts at rev. 4.50.
I have used VersaPro on the CPU331-X ver. 6.50 or 44A731232-G10, as Steve indicated the recommended is CPU331-CD ver. 8.21 or 44A731232-G15, the latest and probably the last for this CPU is -G16, according to my records (Sept. 2005).