GE Proficy iFIX - end of life?

Saffa

Hi guys,

We have a new client who is running a distributed SCADA system using iFIX as the HMI. It's a bit of a mess and really needs a rebuild with standardised graphics, something better than 1024x768 and no bloody Times New Roman font!

I have not worked with iFIX before but it comes across as a bit of a "mature" product. Doesn't appear to be a lot of work being done on it. Now I may be wrong but I'd love to hear from those of you that use it. Would you recommend keeping it, doing the training and and building a new set of screens, or would you dump it in favour of something else?

My preference would be a Wonderware System Platform solution but it's a fairly big cost for the client simply because I don't really know or like an existing product!

I would say it needs to be migrated as well but I won't endorse System Platform. I haven't kept up on iFix but I was in a similar situation about a year ago. Huge project potential and iFix was in place, low resolution changed and massaged over the years and it was simply time. I wanted no part in adding features to that iFix installation simply because of the man hours and risk involved.

Working on a 1024 x 768 application.....yuck.

I made a pretty solid pitch for migration, but unfortunately the overall project was to much and was put on hold, can't say that I was saddened by that news. I had absolutely no desire to take on that risk because it surely meant a very long commissioning and not a chance at staying in budget.

Not sure how big of an application you have, but it's always worth the effort to pitch a migration strategy.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the client has kept up to date, only one version behind I think. Will find out more next week when we actually get access to their servers. The main problem has been lack of a standard when implementing graphics and naming etc. It's just a big job to tidy up from here (over 15,000 tags i think). I recently did an Intouch upgrade from old to new and standardised graphics. .. was weeks of work and was only a 2k tag count.

I'll just have to give iFIX a go I think!

Thanks for the replies guys.

I think the client has kept up to date, only one version behind I think. Will find out more next week when we actually get access to their servers. The main problem has been lack of a standard when implementing graphics and naming etc. It's just a big job to tidy up from here (over 15,000 tags i think). I recently did an Intouch upgrade from old to new and standardised graphics. .. was weeks of work and was only a 2k tag count.

I'll just have to give iFIX a go I think!
If you do take this on you may find some good information and assistance here too: http://forums.ge-ip.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80