GE90-30 PLC to Simatic HMI Communication

JNS

Hi,
I am tring to connect GE 90-30 series CPU363 to Simatic Multipanel. CPU has RS485 port(15 pin) and Simatic panel has RS422/485 port(9 pin). Could anybody please advise me what cable I would use to connect 15 pin RS485 port on the PLC to the 9 pin RS422/485 port on the HMI.

Thanks,
JNS

Thanks for all the replys. I managed to make a cable myself using diagram shown in wincc help. However I am still struggling to get communication going between GE plc and Simatic HMI. This is the first time I have worked on GE plc. Does anybody know that is it required any special comms parameters setup under target's property to establish communication??? As far as I know comms parameters are set up correctly at simatic panel end(I followed the guideline stated in wincc help). Please let me know if anybody established communication between GE90-30 plc and Simatic HMI in the past?

I think that we could give you a more definitive answer if you would tell us "exactly" how each end is setup.
Also what protocol are you using?

I am trying to communicate GE90-30 plc to Simatic mutlipanel key HMI. Connection between them is RS422 type using GE Fanuc SNP protocol. I am currently communicating from programming station to GE plc using RS232/RS422 converter.

In Wincc Project,
I have configured the "connection" in the WinCC project with GE Fanuc SNP driver and other comms parameters i.e. baudrate,databits,stopbits,parity etc. The project is transferred to Simatic HMI without any problem over ethernet.

I would like to know how would I set up the communication parameters in Machine Edition Project(PLC project) to establish RS422 type connection between plc and HMI.

GE CPU363 is communicating to engineering station over RS232 connection using RS422 to RS232 converter. The communication parameters for this connection are set up under targer's property in proficy Machine edition

Go into the Hardware Configuration of the CPU and set all parameters for the port that the cable is plugged into, to match what you have set on the HMI.

Hi RussB,
Parameters on the hardware configuration for RS485 port matches to the parameters I have configured in the WinCC project. Only parameter that I left it blank in hardwar config is "SNP ID". Is it required???

Hi RussB,
Parameters on the hardware configuration for RS485 port matches to the parameters I have configured in the WinCC project. Only parameter that I left it blank in hardwar config is "SNP ID". Is it required???
Only if the HMI needs it, some do, others do not.

Hi Russ,

Still no luck with this communication. I checked the cable again that I am using to connect HMI and PLC and that's looks ok. I have set up the DIP switches on HMI for RS422 type connection. However 15pin port on the GE processor labelled as RS485. You know if any sort of settings required on the PLC side to use this port as RS422?

Thanks,
Jay

The 15 pin port is RS-422/RS-485 compliant.
Are you using 2 wire or 4 wire connection?
Are all jumpers in place at both ends?
Have you verified if the HMI needs an SNP ID or not? If yes, is it set the same on both ends?

The CPU363 when set up for SNP protocol does not use hardware handshaking. If the HMI does, then you need to make sure that the RTS and CTS lines are connected at the HMI side of the cable. The cable should look like figure 8-19 on the page that Russ posted.

SNP is a master/slave protocol. The HMI should be the master and the PLC should be the slave. You would to write a routine in ladder logic to make the PLC be the master.

If your HMI uses the SNP ID, remember that a blank SNP ID is not the same as a SNP ID of zero. The PLC defaults to blank (no SNP ID). Make sure that the HMI does not default to zero, or if it does, make sure to change the CPU port's SNP ID to zero.

Thanks for all replys..Managed to get communication going. Problem was downloading GE controller. As controller was always downloaded in the run mode, it never had the communication configuration downloaded. I stopped the controller and downloaded the project. Restarted the processor after download and it worked without any problem.

Thanks again for all your helps and advice.