Getting started with touch screens, need help on software needed

white6174

I've been tinkering with PLC's for a few years now, I need a little help figuring out what extra software I need for some projects I'll be working on.(fyi - I've been a programmer using VB.net for 7+ years along with a little bit of web development)

I currently have rslogix 500 starter that I purchased along with a micrologix 1200 and then added on an analog card(this is what I've been practicing with)

The projects will have touch screens, I believe the customer has some pv 1000's laying around that they may use, but they may just purchase new ones for the projects. I believe the project will use either a 5-03 or a micrologix. The projects will also be using some analog inputs and possibly outputs.

Questions

panelbuilder32 vs Factory Talk View Studio, is Factory Talk View Studio in sense a newer version of panelbuilder32 used for newer touch screens only?

Is there any charts showing which software programs program which touch screen?

---------
Will the rslogix 500 starter be fine or would I need to get standard?(I purchased it a few years back I don't thing I can upgrade, I don't pay any yearly fee for upgrades or support)

Will my free version of rslinx be fine to communicate to the touchscreen?

Anything special needed if the touch screen is over 100 foot away from the PLC?

I don't think the project will use ethernet, its only available in standard or pro correct?

thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

steve

I *think* this is all correct. YMMV.

The standard PanelView line uses the PanelBuilder32 software.

Any of the + models or the +Ce line will use the newer FactoryTalk View Se/Me
You need the correct version of View Studio for the firmware release you will be loading onto the panels as well.
The + models only require the ME component of FactoryTalk View.
I can't remember if the Ce models take advantage of the Se stuff, but I don't believe so.

500 starter won't impact your ability to play w/ the touch screens.

RsLinx lite will allow you to comminicate w/ the Panel if you are using a non +/ce version.
FactoryTalk View comes w/ RsLinx Enterprise which is used to communicate w/ the newer +/ce panels.

Depends on how you plan to talk to the panel, Do you know what communication interface you will be using?

I'm in sense working as a subcontractor of a consultant on this project and he just wants me to tell him what extra things I need to do the project.

Depends on how you plan to talk to the panel, Do you know what communication interface you will be using?

what are my options? I'm new to panels, I only have experience with PLCs so far.
If its a matter of just purchasing a card or adapter of some sort that wont be a problem, I just need to know what my options are.
I have a meeting tomorrow, I'm trying to get prepared and hopefully I'll have a little better picture of what the projects are.

Ethernet is only available in rslogix 500 standard or pro correct?

Thanks for the help

steve

I believe Ethernet is supported as long as your processor supports it. I do not believe the Micro1200 has an onboard ethernet port, So you'd probably need something like a 1761-NET-ENI to get that working.

If you go w/ a Panelview+1000 for example, You get ethernet/serial on board. You can add on Devicenet, Controlnet, or Data Highway.

The panelview standards came w/ most of the same options. But they aren't modular so what you have is what you get.

Straight DF1 might be your best bet to get started. That's a pretty simple cable and setup.

I believe I'll go with straight DF1, the site currently uses ethernet for a bunch of communication among plcs, but I dont want my stuff intermixed to start.(no need to complicate it if there's no reason too)

Just to confirm my understanding,
Lets say the setup is 5-03 with a panelview 1000, which is most likely going to be the setup unless they want to purchase new equipment.
Then I can just use a serial cable to make the connection and use panelbuilder32.

and if they go with a + or +Ce series touch screen,
then I would need Factory Talk View Studio instead of panelbuilder32.

Did I understand it correctly?

thanks again, this is a great site.

steve

When using Panelview Plus you can use serial to the PLC but you would want to use an Ethernet cable to download to the touchscreen from your computer. Static IP on both ends and a regular cable will work.