Having trouble getting a barcode reader to work on FT view 8.1

IhateVMsandFT

Hello,

I am on a automotive line right now (4 segments) and we have a barcode reader at the beginning of each segment at the elevators.

The barcode reader has its own slot in the PLC chassis. And they have their own screens that I am trying to get to work in the HMI. (AVI screens)

The thing is, my HMI tags are not matching up with my PLC tags. I have segment 1 and the barcode readers PLC programs themselves, yet I cannot find any tag that matches each other.

On top of that and perhaps the most confusing, is that in FT talk view in the tag browser, you know how you have your processor folders on the left and then you can dig deeper into each of them to pull out an individual tag for example [CLS]Sta50.PartPresent[5].5 ?

The tags for these AVI screens look completely different. For example one of them is "{ITM\AVI\Manual_Required}"

All of the tags have no brackets, and have those back slashes on all of them, so I am confused on how to map them with my PLC tags if they don't even look like PLC tags to begin with.

Thanks for any help

FTV can either use PLC tags or its own tag system. The ones in the tags tree of FTV are FTV tags. These should be pointing to actual tags in the PLC.

The first example you gave is an actual tag directly from the PLC. The general format is curly brackets around the whole tag. The square brackets indicate the communitation "topic" that is used to find the path to the PLC on the network.

Have a look at the RSLinx Enterprise tab. Click on a topic on the left and the tree on the right should expand to show the PLC. There are two tabs on the right panel that correspond to local and remote config.

The second example with the slashes are referring only to the FTV tag library and only need to navigate the folder structure of the library and not to the PLC itself.