Having Trouble with the "Download from Server"

MarkHugo

Yes, I can and have downloaded *.plc programs onto my local computer.

Then when I try and open them, the system indicates that it has "uploaded" to the server, with some minor name change, and tells me to download from the server.

When I try to do that, I do not get a "Radio Box" or Dialog box to check for the new, relabled progam on the server.

SO, any suggestions here?

Thanks!

Mark Hugo, P.E.

Yeah, I have a suggestion. How about giving us some clue what you are talking about. You write as if we all work in the same building with the same equipment.

I have no idea what "the server" is, what the *.plc filetype indicates, or what kinds of software or hardware you're dealing with.

Last edited:
Interesting. Obviously I made the presumption that this forum was connected with PLCsimulator.net, which I realize now it is NOT.

I did not mean to offend, and really do NOT appreciate the vitrol of the response.

I'll communicate directly with the people at the PLCsimulator.net, and you will not have to worry about my presence on this forum, thanks!

Interesting. Obviously I made the presumption that this forum was connected with PLCsimulator.net, which I realize now it is NOT.

I did not mean to offend, and really do NOT appreciate the vitrol of the response.

I'll communicate directly with the people at the PLCsimulator.net, and you will not have to worry about my presence on this forum, thanks!

Hey calm down....

We see so many posts on here where info is sparse that Okie's reaction is inevitable.

Don't take offense, you made a mistake (and thanks for the apology), but don't get shirty because the reply wasn't what you hoped for. Vitrol responses are common here, usually because the OP hasn't provided enough info.

In my opinion, OkiePC's reply was totally justified with the info you gave.

Don't slam down because you made a wrong assumption. A second apology is in order, and would be appreciated.....

System came up on it's own and started working in terms of reading the files off the plc.net server.

I'm just learning, and really don't think I'll need to trouble the people with strong experience for some time.

Thx..

Yes, I can and have downloaded *.plc programs onto my local computer.

Then when I try and open them, the system indicates that it has "uploaded" to the server, with some minor name change, and tells me to download from the server.

When I try to do that, I do not get a "Radio Box" or Dialog box to check for the new, relabled progam on the server.

Thanks!

Mark Hugo, P.E.

Mark,
As you can see, nowhere in this post do you mention that you were working with this site's simulator. The forum part of the site is usually used for people to discuss problems and ideas related to real-world equipment. Not always, but usually.

You posted a thread asking for help. Your request lacked the information necessary to provide that help. OkiePC merely pointed out that lack. I don't think there was any vitriol involved.

I'm just learning, and really don't think I'll need to trouble the people with strong experience for some time.
Now is the perfect time to be using the wonderful resource that is this forum. You have some of the best programmers and engineers in the world offering you their expertise for FREE! I know I've learned more from reading and participating in discussions on this forum than I have in any class that my employer has paid thousands of dollar to send me to.

You have to remember that the experts who come here to help new PLC programmers (OkiePC being one of the foremost among them) do so because they ENJOY solving puzzles and helping people learn. In most cases, they are offering technical support services pro bono after putting in a full day's work at their paying gigs. So, if they demand specificity in the question to supply specificity in their replies, is that rude?

Don't leave the forum. The sky's the limit on what you can learn here. Just check your sensitivity at the door. Trust me, if you're going to program PLC's in the field for a living, you're going to have to be thick-skinned anyway.

Mark,
I completely agree with bmacattack33 and daba. This site is the best for solving puzzles and trouble shooting. I would say this is the best site for PLC. Your question was incomplete so these pro have rights to ask FOR FREE. So don't get offended. Most of the time I got the answers in minutes. SO CHILL.

I should apologize for being such a smart@ss. The last time I was polite in a similar situation, it took two weeks to pry any useful information out of the OP, so I thought I would try being rude to see if it helped. It did not.

I am sorry, MarkHugo.

If MarkHugo looks around at some of the first posts we get, he'll wonder why you were so nice!

MarkHugo, welcome, we hope Okie's manners didn't run you off. Some days I think the same guys are firstposting under different names, all the same subject. We know when classtime starts, lol.

Tell us about PLCsimulator, please!

Mark,

Very few of the regulars here have even used the PLC.net simulator. I tried it once years ago when Phil Melore first set it up, but have not been back to it.

EDIT: I opened the PLC.net Simulator. The key to saving your program on your local computer (not the PLC.net server) is to hold down the Ctrl key while clicking on the SAVE icon. Then just follow the screen prompts.

Last edited: