HELP WITH FTView

EDelToro100

Hello there,

Due to shortage of panel view and Rockwell supply chain,
I want to implement a smart tv to cast a process of a PLC through the application in a web browser. Is it possible? What TV do you recommend I buy? I am licensed by Rockwell both ME and SE.

Greetings!:site:

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

If I had to do this, I would use a PC running Windows 10 Professional, and plug the TV into it via HDMI instead of putting a web browser in between them.

If you absolutely need to get the TV to communicate with a PC that's far away from it, choose one that has a Remote Desktop client, so you don't need to run a webserver on the FTView ME computer.

In general, Samsung would be my vendor of choice.

I have gone the route Ken suggested. Your PV application can run on a Windows PC. It does require that the PC have FT View Station installed and it requires a license. The license has to be purchased based on the number of graphic displays in the application. That license is not included with Studio

When you install FT View Studio on your PC for development you also get Station. But since Studio does not include a license for Station it is limited to 2 hours of continuous runtime. Anytime in Studio when you use the Test Application (aka running man) you are actually loading Station.

The downside to a Smart TV is that they aren't touchscreens, So any interaction you need to do will have to be driven by a mouse and keyboard.

OG

Thanks for your comments, but my doubt is how can i only display only one screen from the application?

its only for monitoring a value from the plc, it is posible without a PC?

am i clear?

Regards.

Thanks for your comments, but my doubt is how can i only display only one screen from the application?

its only for monitoring a value from the plc, it is posible without a PC?

am i clear?

Regards.

Just make the runtime file only have one screen, don't use screen number in the setting. default open this screen. You gonna end up with one screen only. It does not mater what you do with PLC, as long as this run time file does not use display number control.

Last edited:
Hmm, I'm not entirely sure I understand.

Perhaps ViewPoint? I've never tried it from a television. But if the smart television has a built-in web browser it might work.

Viewpoint allows you to use a web browser to access your existing PanelView. But there has to be an existing PanelView. It just allows you to remotely interact with your PanelView display. You can set the displays as View Only.

Take a look at this video from Rockwell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqt7wIdcLMQ

The last 90 seconds or so is on VNC. That part won't apply for using a television.

OG

If you need to display only one value, or a single screen of information, then there are certainly other less-expensive methods that could use a TV as their display.

Many of them are Windows PC-based, or will run on an inexpensive Linux computer, involve a headless HMI, or a headless HMI with a webserver.

But if you are going to use FactoryTalk View ME and have no PanelView hardware, then you need a Windows PC.

PanelViews and FactoryTalk View ME also support "FactoryTalk ViewPoint", which allows a web browser to view a PanelView screen remotely.

ViewPoint originally relied on Microsoft SilverLight, but has been HTML5 based for several years (since v8.1, I think). That *should* allow it to work with most Smart TV type browsers.

But again, it needs a PC or PanelView to run FTView ME in the first place.

If you are using a Historian it comes with one VantagePoint web license. You could use a smart TV to browse to a VantagePoint page.

If you have a Panelview somewhere, anywhere, on the network, I was going to mention Viewpoint as well. I have a CompactLogix 1769-L24, PV Plus 7 1200 wide and a smart tv here in my office and I got all this working. Its a little slow and glitchy acting but it shows a constantly changing number just fine.

Keep in mind this panelview could be running something else on a different machine but if its on the network and capable of linking to the PLC whose register you need, then you can create your one screen and make it viewable through viewpoint. Not the ideal situation but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Or, to back up is there any kind of HMI on the network with this PLC? Perhaps it has some capability to do something similar?