FTView ME Button Logic Help??!??

Jsu0234m

I'm converting a Citech SCADA program to a FTView ME program and I've run into a button logic issue that i have to be over thinking.

I want to use 3 buttons to control 3 separate bits in a PLC program. If i press one button i want that bit to come on and the other two to go off. I'm having a brain **** on how to do this in FTView ME without changing the PLC program and without using macros.

I've already converted the rest of the HMI program without changing the PLC program at all, so i don't want to change it for this small issue, I'm also not real familiar with macros.

There has to be a way to do this that I'm over looking, I've converted 7 different Citech SCADA programs to FTView ME so far and this is the first time I've needed to do this for these conversions. I know there has to be an easier way that I'm over looking.

Screenshot of the buttons is attached.

Button swap.png

I probably shouldn't chime in on this one as I have no experience w/ either hmi program mentioned.
But, no one replied yet, and...
Is there no way to put script behind the button?
If there is, tell me the language and I will write it for you.

I too am not an expert but assume each radio button will have events, so on a button event you need to set the tag associated with that button and reset the other two, do this for each button. You may not need to set the tag as this may be a function of the button.

I think that if you do not want to change the plc code, a radio button might not be the way to go, but I have been wrong before.
If you can write script behind each button it seems very easy.
aka:
Button 1:
tag1 = on
tag2 = off
tag3 = off

Button 2:
tag1 = off
tag2 = on
tag3 = off

Button 3:
tag1 = off
tag2 = off
tag3 = on

But then again, I could be misunderstanding something as I drink a lot.

That's how I see it working, not sure about how you set a tag but it could be:
Tagx = True

Tagx := True

Tagx.Value = true
it depends on the script language.

With selections like that I like to make three selector buttons (3 bits in PLC) then use PLC to turn on/off the selections which are three separate bits. I like to do that so I am sure the PLC sees the selection and I am sure only one is enable at a time.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. It's not a real radio button like in visual studio, so it doesn't have any events or controls behind it. It's just made to look like one because that's what the operator is used to.

I'm pretty sure i can't write any scripts in Factory Talk View ME. I think macros or active x controls are as close to scripting as i can get in FTView ME. I could be wrong though.

I think that if you do not want to change the plc code, a radio button might not be the way to go, but I have been wrong before.
If you can write script behind each button it seems very easy.
aka:
Button 1:
tag1 = on
tag2 = off
tag3 = off

Button 2:
tag1 = off
tag2 = on
tag3 = off

Button 3:
tag1 = off
tag2 = off
tag3 = on

But then again, I could be misunderstanding something as I drink a lot.

I can use If/Then/Else/If statements as expressions on some of the button types and i got it to work doing what your doing above but the button type is limited to just two states and i need three which is why im banging my head against the wall.

That's how I see it working, not sure about how you set a tag but it could be:
Tagx = True

Tagx := True

Tagx.Value = true
it depends on the script language.

I got it to work halfway using macros which looks a lot like what your writing here but they only run when the display opens or closes.

So the first time i open the screen and make a change the button changes but it doesn't change the tag until the screen is closed and reopened then the tag changes to what its supposed to be. I've spent a few hours going back and forth either it almost works using expressions or its works but you have to close and reopen the screen using macros.

There is a button type for this. It is called an interlocked button.

OG

Yes i'm using that button with an HMI tag right now and it will swap to and from the three states like i need except the PLC tag has to be the same on all three interlocked buttons or they don't interlock.

So i would have to add a rung to the PLC to say, 1 is one cycle, 2 is intermittent, and 3 is continuous to turn on the correct bit.

Screenshot below is the fix for it but i don't want to change the PLC program because that means when we swap one of these i have to stop the line, download the program, save it to EEPROM, and then replace the PC with a PV. If i can get away with not changing the program the swaps can be done at any point, well any point after its been thoroughly tested.

Belt Wash.png

Last edited: