Help with Honeywell controller

Mark Goldman

I have a used Honeywell UDC3300 (DC330B-KE-003-20-000000-20-0) that was once used to control the furnace on a strip anneal and now I want to use for the following functions:
1) Monitor two areas of a heated compartment via RTD, which is already being controlled for heat by different controller.
2) Provide two inputs to a PLC if either one of the RTD get to a set point.
I have both RTD wired, set up for 100 pt, and seem to be working correctly. +24 v to terminal 6 of CTL1, out of terminal 5 to an PLC input, and, for CTL2, +24 v to terminal 9, out of 8 to a PLC input.
Also, I was wondering if the Honeywell has a factory default that I can wipe out all previously programming to start fresh?

I know it's overkill using this controller for such a simple task but it's what I have and I'm on a budget. Besides, it was free.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
A 3300B, that's an oldie.

I'm not sure if the Honeywell UDC 3200 instructions for reset-to-factory-default-settings works or not. You've got nothing to lose by trying.
reset_3200_to_factory_default_settings.jpg

You should be aware that the relay control output (terminals 5 and 6) does not switch at the control setpoint when the controller is configured for on-off control mode.

Rather, the control output switches at the 'hysteresis' which is plus/minus around the control setpoint.

gokeyo2

The alarm that you have wired to terminals 8 and 9 switches at whatever the alarm setting setpoint is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback DanW. I'll try resetting to factory defaults.
I need to make a correction from my original posting (although it appears that you already know this), I have +24vdc going to terminal 8 (ALM1), as well as, terminal 4 (ALM 2) and terminals 5 and 7 going to inputs of the PLC.
Do you know if there's a way to turn off the hysteresis or to narrow it to a minimum?

Do you know if there's a way to turn off the hysteresis or to narrow it to a minimum?
Go to the setup in the Alarms group > AL HYST

The units are percent of input span, NOT engineering units.

I think the value can be as low as 0.00, but you risk ditheing when the the PV value hovers around the setpoint. Some hysteresis is warranted.

Are you short/missing a 2nd analog input?

The model number you provided shows it was (originally) a single input.

But many times an options card is added without modifying the model number.

The project I am working on is a commercial size L.P. fired commercial size smoker that I built. I put two convection fans inside the top. So it should pretty well have evenly temps throughout. I've omitted the extra RTD at this point.
How good are ya at making ladder?

Update: I've switched out the Honeywell as the product temp monitor and am now using a Barber Colman PID for monitoring. The Honeywell is now only for controlling the burner board and high temp alarm, using the ALM 1.
I'm using an RTD on Input 1. Set at 100pt Hi. I want the ALM 1 to be set for 240 deg. F
When trying to set up alarm, I can not get it to go above 105 for ALM 1 set point. Is this because it is a value in percentage?

I've yet to set up on the Barber Colman 7SM.

Last edited:
>I can not get it to go above 105 for ALM 1 set point. Is this because it is a value in percentage?

Not according to the manual. Alarm values are in engineering units.

Alarm_setup_3300_B.jpg

What is the source (Type) of the alarm? A1 or A2 or PV1 or PV 2.
I'll bet the source/Type is 'output' which is limited to 105%.

That 3300 has two alarm relays and a 4-20mA control output.

CONT ALG determines whether the control output is ON-OFF or Current. If ON-OFF, relay 1 is assigned as the control output, leaving relay #2 for alarming.
If CONT ALG = Current, then both relays 1 & 2 are available for alarming.

If that 3300 really does have a 2nd input card, you could have an alarm on each RTD input.

Okay, I was wrong. Not everything is correctly working right.
I had the control wired up to the CTL1, which I thought could be used as a switching mechanism or 4-20ma. It would call for heat but never opened when satisfied and would shoot up to high temp and set the alarm.
Now I have the control wires running to CTL2, which goes to a burner control board that is looking for a make to call for heat. Problem is, it is not.
This Honeywell PID is a bit intimidating for me. Lots of variables. I'm sure I just don't have it programmed correctly. Any suggestions?

Mark,

If you will

- completely fill out the attached configuration sheet AND

- sketch exactly what you are trying to achieve and post it: which input is which, what the input does (control or alarm), if control what you're driving, what your control and alarm setpoints are, I'll take a crack at it.

But I'm not up for another 20 posts trying to solve one incremental issues one at a time.

What's your control scheme, what needs to be connected to what and what's it gotta do?