help with Mitsubishi FX0S PLC

ednj21

Hello all. Hope to get some basic information on the Mitsubishi FX0S-30MR0ES PLC. I already downloaded any PDF I can find on the web on this unit. I am mainly interested in the analog potentiometer that is hiding next to the Run-Stop switch. I do not plan to reprogram this PLC as it is running fine. It is use to control a set of air compressors. I was told by a co-worker that I can adjust the motor run timer just by turning it with a small screw driver, which I do not believe one can do. The OEM of the compressor had told me that the only way to increase the motor run timer is with a new programming done with a laptop. As I was out of work today the co-worker told me he place a screw driver and turned it to the right therefor increasing the run timer. I hoping someone can point me to any PDF or information on how to use this potentiometer slot, and can it even be used without a laptop hooked up to the PLC. Also hoping the coworker did not mess this PLC up.o_O Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I'll look it up for you later today
Yes you can do this. You need the address of the pot . Not sure what it is yet
Welcome to the site
Can you post at a higher font size.
At 55 my glasses are failing by perfect eyesight

I'll look it up for you later today
Yes you can do this. You need the address of the pot . Not sure what it is yet
Welcome to the site
Can you post at a higher font size.
At 55 my glasses are failing by perfect eyesight

thanks for the fast answer. If you can share the steps I need to follow it would be great!

https://my.mitsubishi-automation.com/downloads_show.php?tbldownloads=YToyOntzOjExOiJzb3J0X2NvbHVtbiI7czo1OiJ0aXRsZSI7czo4OiJzb3J0X2RpciI7czozOiJBU0MiO30%3D&portal_id=1&doc_type=man&slang=2&sstr=FX2N

FX0S/FX0N/FX2N series Programming Manual Manuals English Controller 048261 PDF (6.9 MB) 11/1999J

understand that the value is between 0 ond 255
so if you use the register directly inot a timer the maximum value is 255
unless you multiply the register by a small value to make the value higher
mul(d8030 K4 d100) max will be 255 x 4 = 1020
download the manual from this link
(y)

mits Pot pt 2.jpg mits trim pot registers.JPG

https://my.mitsubishi-automation.co...0=&portal_id=1&doc_type=man&slang=2&sstr=FX2N

FX0S/FX0N/FX2N series Programming Manual Manuals English Controller 048261 PDF (6.9 MB) 11/1999J

understand that the value is between 0 ond 255
so if you use the register directly inot a timer the maximum value is 255
unless you multiply the register by a small value to make the value higher
mul(d8030 K4 d100) max will be 255 x 4 = 1020
download the manual from this link
(y)

thank you. I downloaded the manual and read 4.12.5 regarding the setting the "POTS" and if i am reading this correctly the FX0S has one data it can control D8013.

But without laptop and cable how do I know what D8013 is really is? The following is copied from 4.12.5
• This facility is often used to vary timer settings, but it can be used in any application where a data register is normally found, i.e. setting counters, supplying raw data, even
selection operations could be carried out using this option.

second question how does one change the value of the "POT" do i just stick a screw driver in and turn it? Do i have to first switch from RUN to STOP? I could not locate that information in the manual.

thank you.

you need to read that again
D8013 is the RTC
D8030 and D8031 are for the POTS

thanks for upsizing the font.
however
this POT has to be programmed via a laptop to work
of it is already programmed then it will work.
I am curious now, why do you need to adjust the run timer.
this is normally for motor starting in star/delta or
a delay prior to the Loading valve being energised.
there is usually no need to adjust any of these.
So what is the problem?

you need to read that again
D8013 is the RTC
D8030 and D8031 are for the POTS

thanks for upsizing the font.
however
this POT has to be programmed via a laptop to work
of it is already programmed then it will work.
I am curious now, why do you need to adjust the run timer.
this is normally for motor starting in star/delta or
a delay prior to the Loading valve being energised.
there is usually no need to adjust any of these.
So what is the problem?

There is nothing wrong with our compressors in fact they run fine. It is just something I like to learn more about how this POT work. As my coworker is one of those type that say they know everything but will not show you in person to teach you about it.

Since I have no access to laptop or cable, I would never know if this POT has ever been programmed, or it been programmed for run timer or maybe something else.

I would still like to know does one just stick a screw driver in it and turn without touching the RUN/STOP switch?

I guess I can always do a test on the weekend when there is no one in the shop and mark where the POT position is and turn it all the way left and time the compressor.

the POT is common on some MFG's PLC's you can use it for anything that the programmer or usually the buyers Scope demands.
Personally I wont use them / it because there is no way of knowing what its actual setting is without some form of display.
with most control systems we don't want people turning pots that may have operational consequences. usually we get called back because it dosent work correctly, and then the blame game starts.
As far as a co-worker not helping - you do get that.
some times people are either afraid of loosing their jobs or suffer from the tall poppy syndrome.
Personally I have no problems with teaching when asked.
as you can tell by this site.
of course I like people to show ability and learn as well

Where can I get the software and cable to see what is in this PLC? Will window 7 64 even work with that software?
would like to learn more once work decide to get new system and i can start ripping the control panel apart.

the old software GX DEVELOPER is no longer available
current version is GX WORKS 2 - it is compattable with Win7 64.
I think there is a free FX program software -
www.mitsubishi-automation.com/
you can find contacts on this site