Help with wire type

cstech

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I have a client who insists on using a type of wire that I have never used before for rebuilding a machine. The wire is AlphaWire 5859 - http://www.alphawire.com/products/Wire/Hook-Up-Wire/Premium/5859.aspx?device=pdf

This is to go inside of an electrical cabinet to provide power distribution for 480VAC from the main circuit protection (12A breaker) to various combination starters, etc. All of the specs seem okay, but I am still a bit uncomfortable with the unknown. I normally use MTW or THHN for this task.

Thoughts?
Chip

I think they were interested in the chemical resistivity more than anything. Although, my argument was if insulation break down was going to be a problem, then the wiring was the least of concerns...

The funny thing is, I can't find any evidence of anything getting into the cabinets. Perhaps I need to clarify one more time exactly why they need this wire - it could be someone is operating on a false assumption somewhere. It is good to get a confirmation that it will work though - thanks everyone!

They could be using it because it's silver plated copper strands. We use it for the corrosion protection from H2S gas. We generally use SIS wire though which is really just tinned copper with Xhhw insulation.

Last edited:
.. or that PTFE wire takes up less space than the equivilant current carrying capacity PVC covered wire.