Hey Phil

I agree with Tark, Dont like it close it. It is a free world if you dont want your kids reading it why are you reading it. It seems to me that you have had a lot of posts on this subject. So that means you keep opening this, STOP OPENING IT!!!!

Tark said:
If you’re at work and stuff in this thread might be offensive to someone, don’t view it. It’s pretty apparent where this thread was going from the first post. It’s like trying to explain to your wife, “Well the link said ****, but I didn’t know it was going to be this kind of ****.”

In regards to Terry’s post, have you known Terry to be able to get his point across without using huge over sized fonts? Complaining about Terry’s post that is like saying, ‘Well the link I clicked on said boobs, but I didn’t think they were going to be that big!”....

So whats your point?, dont you guys get it!...Terry said his...I said mine...who cares whos right...Do you think that if someone offends me that I should just sit there and not say a thing? come on...

Tark said:
Some of us need a break from work and enjoy talking about sh**, looking at boobies and that kind of c r a p.

That would be me as well, I think I have more post in the off topic stuff then most, look at the S&M thread if you dont think its true

Tark said:
On a serious note, it would have been good if you would have placed OT on this thread rsdoran.

That would of not stop Terry or I...we are both very opinionated

Look its like this, he programs one way I program (or hire out) another...Its not a bid deal, this is not my first rodeo nor is it his.

DBLD99, I was going to reply back to your post..but its not worth it.

everyone keeps expressing there opinion...I will keep expressing mine.

PS...My kids are not watching.

crapped, crapping, craps

To make a losing throw in the game of craps.

Good thing we don't discuss gambling here.

I probably should have used OT in the title, did not think of it. I was just curious about some of the words that are blocked because I never thought of them as "dirty" words; rather as replacement words for other terms that are far more graphic.

I will agree that Terry was probably too graphic overall but, as mentioned, he had an opinion on the subject and stated it. I personally never thought this thread would get this kind of response, but some of it has been hilarious. In the future I do not think I will ask this kind of question on the forum.

I never thought I would say this…but I agree with Terry’s point of view on this. I too have children (twins, age 7…if it matters). If you are worried about what your child sees/hears/knows/learns then it is your job to educate them, it is not anybodies responsibility on this forum. Coming from a very restrictive past (in terms of the previous South African government) I don’t agree with any type of 3rd party censorship, I enjoy my freedom and I accept the responsibility that comes with it. This is Phil’s site and he is free to restrict it, I (as are you all) am free to take it or leave it, but my children’s education in these matters are solely my responsibility.

I think when one swears, it shows their intellengence level.
Sometimes even when they type :). I do it from time to time drop a few points.

I wrote the attached VB program years ago, recompiled here so it should run on the latest computers. I simply call it "Insult". It generates insults from its 600 word vocabulary and does it without swearing. So from now on please use this program instead on cussing.

I had a game on my ZX Spectrum that insisted on telling me “your mother wears army boots” to this day I am not quite sure what it means… except the obvious naturally.

DDV said:
I had a game on my ZX Spectrum that insisted on telling me “your mother wears army boots” to this day I am not quite sure what it means… except the obvious naturally.

It was originally a rather nasty insult. Once upon a long time ago "LADIES" that followed track laying crews, or hung around mining camps were known to wear army boots.

Tark said:
No point. I was bored at work and wanted to bring **** and boobs into the thread. ;)

Tark...That was just funny

DDV said:
I never thought I would say this…but I agree with Terry’s point of view on this....

You agree with what?...what point do you stand fast with?...that your mother did what?... Read Terry's post again...there was no point, it was just a opinioun. nothing more.

Again... you guys just don't get it...I have nothing against Terry, I enjoy conversing with him and Ron just about more then anyone else...they can actually get there points across and will take there time to show me and others.

So once again....I dont have a problem with what Terry was saying

BUT I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE WAY IT WAS DELIVERED..get it? he is much more creative then that

PS. Rube out of salt...want some pepper?

I too wondered about that and what Leadfoot stated could be close to the truth except technically the US did not officialy have an "Army" per se until 1920. I am not sure exactly when they began issuing boots either, but I do not think it was prior to WWI.

I would say that there probably were "ladies of the evening" that did follow track crews and did wear boots, most construction sites are muddy. I think that the army part may have just been added later to offer a suggestion of mobility i.e. infantry and walking, kind of an early version of standing on street corners. A similar expression would be "She carries a mattress on her back".

In many cases I just thought of some of these terms as being more socially acceptable to state, if there is such a thing as acceptable.

For those interested here is a list of US English terminology, which can differ from British English, pertaining to cuss words and replacement wording. NOTE: THIS link will have strong curse words: http://darrel.knutson.com/english_educ/ed-vulgar_vocabulary.html

Personally I have always lived with the thought " Sticks and stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." Direct insults will not but there always situations where something can be said to upset anyone.

Off Topic

Jiri Toman said:
crapped, crapping, craps

To make a losing throw in the game of craps.

Good thing we don't discuss gambling here.

We could if we wanted to. Rolling a 2, 3, or 12 (known as craps, or crapping) is only a losing roll if you do it on the rollout. Once you set your point, its just another roll. Of course, it hurts come bettors, and at most tables the only places you can win when craps is rolled is if you make a circus bet or are betting the don't come.

Rolling a "7 out" is what most people think of as THE losing roll in craps. A 7 on the rollout is an automatic win (as is an 11), but after a point is set, if you roll a 7, all the money is collected (except the people who were betting the donts) and the die is passed to the next person.

So, if you go to vegas anytime soon (I'll be there next weekend) don't make a fool of yourself by referring to a 7-out as crapping out. And, don't expect anyone to explain it to you at the tables either because mentioning the dreaded 7 is bad luck. Its like looking into a mirror and calling 'candyman' or 'bloody mary' 3 times.

Last edited: