How AB RsLogix500 save rungs comments?

mapizarro

If AB Rslogix500 projects are store in one file Where and how are the comments stored?.... The reason I am asking this is because it seems the comments get lost when there is a difference in the program stored in the plc vs the one store on the harddisk
Is there a way to make sure the comments always stay with the program no matter is program is offline or online?

When you are connecting to the PLC in RSLogix, does the program file automatically get found & it open, or does it show a file not found - or multiple files found with same processor name/password screen?

If it is showing the not found screen, it gives you the options to create a new file or upload use file - merging with comments and descriptions of another file.

RSLogix ver 6.0 has a problem matching a program file to a PLC & if you are using this outdated version it has to upload the use file every time you connect & you may be hitting the "create new file" button. If this is whats happenning hit the "upload use file & merge..." button, then select the proper file that has the comments and descriptions in it. And go to the Rockwell Automation site & download the newest version (6.1.1) of the software (@25 Meg's)

If you don't have ver 6.0, or there is a different problem, reply with the specifics.

Greg

I just went through a couple of RSS & RSP files with a hex editor. The comments and descriptions are compressed [or encrypted] and not in a text format - not easily extracted from outside RSLogix.

Actually the only readable information in the file is the processor name, the passwords (if present) & the font used.

There is, however, export & import tools in RSLogix to save & load the comments and descriptions from one file to another.

Greg

FYI,
RSLogix 6.10.10 does not fix the verification problem. Rockwell is still working on the problem and it will not be fixed until the next release.

Just downloaded and tried out V6.2 and it does not solve the verification problems. There is no mention of the problem in the release notes.

A local AB tech advised me there may be a problem with the processor name (having a space as the last character of the name.) A problem he also blamed on a problem with version 6.0.

He suggested putting the PLC in program mode, changing the processor name on the file, saving & then connecting and downloading the "new" program.

address and rung comments

When you try to go "online" with a PLC, Logix matches the processor name with the processor names in the offline files which you have saved on the PC in the "Project Files Search Path". To find this, go to tools, options, then the System Preferences tab. It then looks at the checksum, if there is a processor name match and a checksum match, it goes online. If however, you didn't let it upload the last time you were online, there won't be a checksum match. It then shows you all projects with the same processor name and lets you tell it what to do. Always choose the file you want to use and click "upload use file", unless you suspect the memory in the PLC may be corrupt.